ATX Community

Microsoft warns millions who bought brand name computers like Dell and Staples

Abby Normal

Windows 10 users exposed to this problem are unlikely to even know they have it because who actually uses pre-installed bloatware? As such, my advice would be to search your computer and uninstall it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/06/22/microsoft-windows-10-problem-warning-dell-diagnostics-security-upgrade-windows/amp/

• Thanks 4

For those that don't click links:

Picked up by Gizmodo, acclaimed Californian security company SafeBreach has revealed that software pre-installed on PCs has left “millions” of users exposed to hackers. Moreover, that estimate is conservative with the number realistically set to be hundreds of millions.

The flaw lies in PC-Doctor Toolbox, systems analysis software which is rebadged and pre-installed on PCs made by some of the world’s biggest computer retailers, including Dell, its Alienware gaming brand, Staples and Corsair. Dell alone shipped almost 60M PCs last year and the company states PC-Doctor Toolbox (which it rebrands as part of ‘SupportAssist’) was pre-installed on “most” of them.

What SafeBreach has discovered is a high-severity flaw which allows attackers to swap-out harmless DLL files loaded during Toolbox diagnostic scans with DLLs containing a malicious payload. The injection of this code impacts both Windows 10 business and home PCs and enables hackers to gain complete control of your computer.

What makes it so dangerous is PC-makers give Toolbox high-permission level access to all your computer’s hardware and software so it can be monitored. The software can even give itself new, higher permission levels as it deems necessary. So once malicious code is injected via Toolbox, it can do just about anything to your PC.

Dell SupportAssist has PC-Doctor Toolbox built into it and it is shipping on 10s of millions of PCs every year.

Worse still, PC makers are currently engaged in a game of Whack-A-Mole trying to make Toolbox secure. SafeBreach reports it initially found flaws in Toolbox back in April and Dell released a patch to address it, but now SafeBreach has found further vulnerabilities and it looks highly that they will not be the last.

The end result is many Windows 10 users exposed to this problem are unlikely to even know they have it because who actually uses pre-installed bloatware? As such, my advice would be to search your computer and uninstall it. Dell builds Toolbox into SupportAssist, Corsair relabels it as ‘One Diagnostics’ or just ‘Diagnostics’, Staples calls it ‘Easy Tech Diagnostics’, Tobii refers to its as ‘I-Series/Dynavox Diagnostic Tools’ and there will inevitably be more partners so do your research.

As a wider tip: I would also advise anyone who buys a new PC to make their first step formatting the computer and reinstalling Windows. You should be in control of what programs are running on your PC. If you don’t know how to do this, find a family member, friend or colleague who does.

Does Microsoft deserve blame for this? Ultimately, it is helpless to stop PC makers pre-installing whatever they want on Windows computers, even if it compromises their security, and this is something which drives people to other platforms. It’s frustrating, but this level of partnering is also what made Windows such a global hit in the first place.

That said, it’s also what makes Microsoft’s recent pledge of more "control, quality and transparency" not only worryingly complex but extremely hard to deliver.

• Thanks 4

Dell says version 3.2.2 is safe.....

DSA-2019-084: Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs Security Update for PC Doctor Vulnerability

DSA Identifier: DSA-2019-084

CVE Identifier: CVE-2019-12280

Severity: High

Severity Rating: CVSS v3 Base Score: See NVD (http://nvd.nist.gov/) for individual scores for each CVE

Affected Products:

Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs version 2.0

Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs version 3.2.1 and all prior versions

Summary:

Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs require an update to the latest versions to address a security vulnerability within the PC Doctor component.

Details:

The PC Doctor component in Dell SupportAssist for Business Systems and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs has been updated for the following vulnerability:

PC Doctor CVE-2019-12280

For more information about any of the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs) mentioned here, consult the National Vulnerability Database (NVD) at http://nvd.nist.gov/home.cfm. To search for a particular CVE, use the database’s search utility at http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search.

MORE AT:  https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln317291/dsa-2019-084-dell-supportassist-for-business-pcs-and-dell-supportassist-for-home-pcs-security-update-for-pc-doctor-vulnerability?lang=en

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

Just to be clear, you are talking about Windows 10 ONLY? I have 7 on a Dell, and it has SupportAssist. Is this version for Windows 7 safe?

You should also update to version 3.2.2 on win. 7.

I have a win.7 other computer and updated it.

• Like 2

Contents of Elrod's link:

DSA Identifier: DSA-2019-084

CVE Identifier: CVE-2019-12280

Severity: High

Severity Rating: CVSS v3 Base Score: See NVD (http://nvd.nist.gov/) for individual scores for each CVE

Affected Products:

• Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs version 2.0
  • Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs version 3.2.1 and all prior versions

Summary:

Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs require an update to the latest versions to address a security vulnerability within the PC Doctor component.

Details:

The PC Doctor component in Dell SupportAssist for Business Systems and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs has been updated for the following vulnerability:

• PC Doctor CVE-2019-12280

Resolution:

The following Dell SupportAssist for Business Systems and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs release contains a resolution to this vulnerability:

• Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs version 2.0.1
  • Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs version 3.2.2

Dell recommends all customers update at the earliest opportunity.

Method 1: Auto Update

Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs and Dell SupportAssist for Home PCs automatically upgrade to the latest versions available, if automatic updates are enabled.

Method 2: Manual Update

To update manually, download and install the latest product version.

Article ID: SLN317291

Last Date Modified: 06/21/2019 10:27 AM

Edited by jklcpa
formatting
  • Like 2

I think Dell support assist is a useful tool, just like any other software that supports our computers.  The secret is to erase all the crooks out there in the net, but with that impossibility....

Simply have all programs updated to the latest version,     Weather it is adobe flash player, the browser we use, or even our operating system.

It is a sad shame that something as useful as computers and internet IS,   that a bunch of sorry #"@)*^> horse's bums ruin it for all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christian said:

I've got to buy a new Windows 10 computer and usually buy a Compaq or HP. Are they effected by any of this?

I am not sure if Compaq or HP have a support assist, But my guess is,  they compete with Dell, so they may have a platform assistant.

After you get your new computer, you can check with them for your needs...

1 hour ago, Elrod said:

I think Dell support assist is a useful tool, just like any other software that supports our computers.  The secret is to erase all the crooks out there in the net, but with that impossibility....

Simply have all programs updated to the latest version,     Weather it is adobe flash player, the browser we use, or even our operating system.

It is a sad shame that something as useful as computers and internet IS,   that a bunch of sorry #"@)*^> horse's bums ruin it for all.

All of these "support" tools are a security risk. The last time I bought a Dell (90s), I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows. I have an IT guy. I don't need or want Dell support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1