ATX Community

HRB Max Refund Guarantee

kimjo

My client was named Executor of the estate for longtime HRB customer.   In reviewing several old tax returns of the deceased,

a $135,000 donation was made to his church in 2014.  The deduction was reported and produced a $111,000 contribution carryover( HRB carryover worksheet)

Tax returns for 2015 and forward did not record any contribution carryover.  It looks like the claim for refund ($4,500) on 2015 1040X is gone since that year is closed.

Certainly HRB doesn't expect the old codger to bring in his prior year return each and every time to capture any carryover data.

What kind of defenses, exclusions , exceptions might HRB mount when we pay them a visit?

Thanks 

First off, why are you referring to the gentleman as an "old codger"?  That seems pretty disrespectful of senior citizens.  If you are lucky, you kight get to his age.  Would you like to be referred to n such a term?

If the cient had 2014 prepped at HRB, the informationshould have carried forward to 2015, but obviiously didn't happen.

Before you jump into something with HRB, you should read the exrensive engagement letter that every client signs each year.    It will tell what options you have, if any. If you want to contest anything, it will go to HRB headquarters where their legal team will take charge of it.   From what you tell us of the dates, the refund is off the table.    However, they might do something in the interest of good public relations, particularly if the person had any mental issues.  That is something you would hae to take up with the CEO or a top exec of the company.

8 hours ago, Max W said:

First off, why are you referring to the gentleman as an "old codger"?  That seems pretty disrespectful of senior citizens.  If you are lucky, you kight get to his age.  Would you like to be referred to n such a term?...

:D Ha-ha!  Kudos to you, Max - you're a gentleman and a scholar. 

As a card-carrying codger I appreciate your spirited defense of "old folks" while still offering a clear analysis of the problem as you (in the words of you-know-who) refuse to take advantage of the original poster's youth and inexperience. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Max was so mad he couldn't type straight! 🤣

Not mad, just not a good typist and it doesn't help when several letters on the keyboard are obliterated.  I never get mad at ignorance, only stupidity.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BLACK BART said:

:D Ha-ha!  Kudos to you, Max - you're a gentleman and a scholar. 

As a card-carrying codger I appreciate your spirited defense of "old folks" while still offering a clear analysis of the problem as you (in the words of you-know-who) refuse to take advantage of the original poster's youth and inexperience. 

Thanks for the support.

Haven't heard "gentleman and a scholar" in a long time.  I guess that dates us.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Max W said:

😎😂😂

It's California. I'd be wearing shades.

But, you got it right on the car.  It's a red, '94 Buick Regal with peeling paint.

I am so happy Max, that you have a sense of humor.  I truly meant no disrespect, but what you wrote in your previous post struct me to be so funny, I wanted to return the humor to you.

Your picture on here is more handsome than what I posted......Hope your computer comes back..✌️😐

• Like 3