ATX Community

I have a website - please let me know what you think

BulldogTom

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

Looks good. How do you plan on advertising your web page to get traffic to it?

I did not really buy it to get more customers, I bought it to get the secure portal.   I think that the IRS is going to mandate higher data security in the next couple of years and I think email of client documents is going to go by the wayside.   So I am preparing for what I think is on the horizon.   My plan is to ease all my clients who email me their docs to start using the portal on my website.   I will request they do so this year, and require it in future years.   I will also start putting all my correspondence to my clients on the website.   My client letter that I mail out every year will go on the website only and in each of their portal folders.  Whenever I drop something into their portal folder, it pushes an email to them to look for what I dropped in there.

But, since I have to have a website for the portal to reside at, I thought I would put it together as professionally as I could.   I saw this vendor at the CSTC seminar in Las Vegas.   The product looked good and it was affordable.   They have been very good to work with so far.

What I am really concerned about is the same thing we have on this board, DIY taxpayers asking questions on how to do their taxes on TT.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I did not really buy it to get more customers, I bought it to get the secure portal.

Tom, your web site is not secure.  It doesn't have the little lock on the address line.

Both your portal and your contact page can be used to penetrate your computer.

BTW, I aslo use Getnetset with the same GG Bridge.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Max W said:

Tom, your web site is not secure.  It doesn't have the little lock on the address line.

Both your portal and your contact page can be used to penetrate your computer.

BTW, I aslo use Getnetset with the same GG Bridge.

The portal requires a separate login and DOES have the lock on the address line; I just checked.  

I don't see how the portal and contact page can be used to "penetrate" his computer, when neither reside on his computer.  They're in the cloud.  Ditto for the portal, but it also has all the encryption and login security.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Catherine said:

The portal requires a separate login and DOES have the lock on the address line; I just checked.  

I don't see how the portal and contact page can be used to "penetrate" his computer, when neither reside on his computer.  They're in the cloud.  Ditto for the portal, but it also has all the encryption and login security.

I did not see a lock, but a robot check.   This might stop an automated attack, but not an individual hacker, who by SQL injection, or other method, could capture the names and emails entered on the contact page, selling the info and preventing Tom from receiving them.

As more and more people become security conscious they are going to avoid unsecured websites.  

I was incorrecct about the portal if there is no connection to the site.

• Like 2

It looks great. I do agree with Abby Normal about the size of the picture though.

One odd thing that I ran into was that my AV blocked the links shown at the right side of the main page for "More Information" and all of the items under "Helpful Links" with a popup message that a certificate in the certificate chain was expired, but those same pages were perfectly accessible when I used the drop down menu under "Resources" in the heading area.

• Like 1

My browser/monitors have no trouble with that picture.  I can clearly see a number of items under it including the quick contact information.  If you want the entirety of the links, etc., to be clearly seen with no scrolling - then, yeah, you might want to shrink the picture size a bit.  Have you (or has anyone else) checked it on a phone?  ...I just did; looks good on a phone, too!

• Thanks 1

As much as I love your professional-looking website, I do have two thoughts:

I view things like this on tabs on half of a horizontal monitor, saving the other half for my own email, and saving my two vertical monitors for tax preparation. In this configuration, all I see is your beautiful picture, your contact numbers above and "Welcome" and two lines of print below. That's great if I just need to find your phone number. But, it might not be great if I'm a potential client checking you out for the first time.

I also tried your site on my iPhone via Safari. Although this is now vertical, my phone screen shows only about as much as my specific monitor configuration described above. However, there are no numbers after "Phone:" and "Fax:" -- just blank. The color? The update I did last night? I don't know.

If this is a marketing tool, visit some friends and family to view your site under different conditions. If this is for the portal, you are fine!

(Mine is for the portal.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up to what can happen with an unprotected web site.   Malware can be embedded on a website that can then infect someone browsing that web site.

Although, the article says that it appears to be experimental, it will surely be picked up by copycat hackers.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tricky-trojan-targets-news-website-to-backdoor-your-pc/

• Like 1