ATX Community

New Computer

As mentioned some time back I am now researching a new computer. Dell has a sale going on but I recall someone in the forum pointed out some current problems with Dell. I have had good service from my HP computers but the prices on the Dells are quite attractive right now. Does anyone know if their problems noted here have been resolved?

With the exception of two HP computers (for which I will never go back to HP), I have always used Dells, both desktop and laptops.  I am currently looking at Dell for a new laptop as mine is over 7 years old with Window 7 in it and I will have to upgrade in January due to 7 not being supported any longer.

I can not say enough good about Dell.  My desktop is 2 years old and I have to say that the only problem I have had was due to a software conflict.  I had encrypted my hard drive using Symantec and Windows 10 did not like it on the larger updates.  The problem got so bad that Symantec or Windows locked me out of my own computer.  I spent tons of money to get my computer back up and running, only to find out by researching that the problem was with Symantec's.  Windows 10 pro has it's own encryption and that seems to have solved my problems.

Like I mentioned, I am currently looking to replace my laptop, and I won't consider anything but a Dell.  If you can find the configuration that you are looking for at Costco or even Sam's Club, they have the best return policy around.  Mine however can not be found there so I am going to order directly from Dell, which I have also done in the past without any problems.

Hope this helps.

Deb

• Like 1

Well I went ahead and bought another Compaq which I have never had any problems with. Of course, that is an HP. I really hate having to relearn a new OS. I am going to contact ATX tech support to see if I can download my 2018 program to the new machine as I like most have offsite (flash drive) backup. I'll keep the old Windows but will leave it off the net. My thought was I could move needed files over by a USB cable but evidently not. ☹️

The latest video from Wolters Kluwer uses the backup/restore feature, but it's cumbersome to select all of your clients. There's no 'select all' feature, so you have go to every page and click the checkbox in the header to select all returns on that page. Also, you have to browse to a new backup location to even get all of your clients to show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well happy days are here again. The transition to Windows 10 is moving along pretty well considering my advanced age. ☹️ It seems I will now be able to confront the new tax season with renewed zest and vigor. 😋 Would this were the case in other aspects of my life. This  😈. Instead of this 🤢 I thought y'all might need a little humor today. 😄

• Like 4