ATX Community

NT - new neighbors loiter outside my door

schirallicpa

I moved into this new place (not new - old place actually) in the fall of 2015.  So this will mark 4 years in September so I feel that I'm "established" here.  In April some new people moved into the apartment upstairs.  It's a fairly small apartment and there are 4 of them, which includes a toddler and a baby.  In the front, where you approach my door, their door is right next to mine.  There a small exterior alcove there as you enter, where the mailboxes are mounted, and where I have a rug to catch some winter mud.  But it's not really a very big spot.  And these people are in it all the time.  Smoking there cigarettes and vapes.  They put the baby in a stroller that sits at the very bottom of the stairs just inside their door and they sit out there and smoke.  I AM SO ANNOYED!  I have said something to the landlord twice.  And each time I thought the problem was fixed.  But after a few days, they are right back out there again.  They are not real loud or obnoxious.  They are not friendly.  But they just stand around or sit around and smoke.  Let alone the butts in the flower/tree area near the street.  UGH! 

I don't know what to do about this one.  I don't want to be a total jerk, but - come on!

• Sad 1

No - I'm in western NY and there is no such ordinance in my town.  I will take your sign though!  thanks.

I again spoke to the manager and wrote a formal complaint to the manager of the building as well as the actually owner of the building.  He has told them on numerous occasions, but as soon as no one's paying attention, they are back out there.  UGH.

Your local fire department might know which brand/model is the most sensitive and the loudest. It's worth a little time searching. Install them as high as possible to make it hard for your neighbors to remove the batteries. Or, hardwire them in.

Your neighbors won't want the baby crying or the toddler throwing a tantrum.

• Like 2

I am not sure I get what is annoying about the neighbors.  Is it the cigarette smoke, or the constant mumble of their conversation? 

There are things that can be done to remedy the situation, but they may be more of a bother to you, such as having a smoke alarm that keeps going off and having to be reset.  It is a good idea to have a smoke alarm, anyway.   I am surprised thay are not required.    If you have renters insurance, the company might give you a discount for having a smoke alarm.

If   it is low level noise they generate, playing loud music can drown out their conversation. That's how my roomate and I silenced some noisy neighbors that moved in upstairs from us.    My roommate had a very powerful stereo system. So, we mounted a large speaker on the top of a bookshelf, inches from the ceiling, and turned it up full blast.  Never any problem after that.

Goodluck with anything you do.

• Like 1