ATX Community

The IRS always finds a new way to prove general incompetence in the ranks.

Catherine

New one today. We've had a spate, this year, of decedent refund returns WITH the Form 1310 properly included with the paper-filed return, where the IRS immediately spits back a letter demanding the 1310 - which they obviously did NOT bother looking for.

Today's iteration was even better! The client got back the ENTIRE package - all forms, original copy of death certificate, Form 1310 (all filled out properly) and even the original mailing envelope! PLUS a letter demanding the Form 1310.

The client wanted to know what to do. I recommended sending it all back, with a copy of the letter, and a post-it note on the 1310 saying "This WAS sent with the original filing - it was even on top of the stack!" which she liked. But she couldn't believe they sent everything back. I told her it was "our tax dollars at play" and she chuckled and shook her head.

First time I've seen the whole package returned - and for lack of a form that was included!

• Like 6

Nothing new!  It has happened before with 1310's.  Also with 2848's.  One was sent back  with the usual cover sheet, a series of check boxes indicating the deficiency, missing page 2, which of course came back with the rejection package. 

My suspicion is that it is deliberate, that the rejections are on a quota system , just like cop having to hand out a quota of so many  traffic tickets.

• Like 2

I simply cannot let this opportunity go by without adding my two cents. A longtime client who is forever a couple of years behind in her filings called me last year after three  years of not hearing a word from her. We got her 2014 and 2015 filed last year 2016 early this year and needed to file 2017 and 2018 this year as well. She and hubby have one of those wonderful hobby farms and have always gotten refunded and as a result no fines or penalties until NOW. She called me earlier this year concerned about a notice she got. She brought it in and on examination I burst into laughter as it was for some man in Colorado. We basically dismissed it. Unknown to me she had received notices concerning her 2017 return which was unfilled. She finally stirred herself to action and brought me her 2017 info along with a threatening notice from the Service. It was addressed to her husband. On checking the info and computations I noted no info for the wife. The Service computed the tax due on a single man over age 65. The couple has been married for 58 years. To my astonishment they computed tax and penalties due in excess of $8,000. I prepared their return and immediately efiled it (2017) showing tax due of $566.00. They will be penalized of course but were happy to find they did not owe over $8,000 !! I contacted the Service at the number provided and advised the agent the couple had efiled their return a day prior to the deadline outlined in the notice further advising that the return was on file at the Andover Service Center for their inspection.  I frankly expect another crappy notice from the Service to arrive and the client will simply have to call them this time around if it does. It really makes you wonder how many poor souls panic and pay these notices off even though they surely are riddled with factual inaccuracies.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Christian said:

It really makes you wonder how many poor souls panic and pay these notices off even though they surely are riddled with factual inaccuracies.

The iRS is full of people with accounting degrees.    You would think that some of them actually earned the degrees and have a somewhat inquisitive mind....and would ask this question as well?   And maybe the number is big enough that they just don't fix the system?   It is not a conspiracy theory if they really are after you...

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1