ATX Community

Grade My Laptop Please

JohnH

I decided to get a laptop so I can access QB Desktop when I'm out of the office.  Here's what my computer guy sold me:

DEL Latitude E5520, Intel Core i3 - 2330M  CPU @2.20 Ghz

4GB Ram, 223 GB SSD

Win 10, Microsoft Office 365, and ESET Security 

Price was $430

How did I do, and what did I miss (if anything) ?

Love the SSD.   Will help with boot ups.   CPU is a little slow, but maybe the SSD will help.   Light on Ram.  

You will be paying for Office 365 for the rest of your life, but that is OK if you are OK with it.   I prefer to buy the software upfront.

I think you did good for your stated intended use.

Tom
Modesto, CA

He knows I use a MacBook Pro for most of my heavy lifting, so I guess he thought this is all I would need for Word, Excel, and Quickbooks Desktop.  Makes sense, because I doubt I'll be running anything that needs lots of RAM or processor speed. I was surprised at how heavy the Dell is, but then I'm probably spoiled by the MacBook. Thanks for the replies. 

In today's world, you would only need something stronger if you were playing games, doing graphic work (photo / video editing) or other high end work. For what we do at work, your computer is going to get the job done.

If you'd like to cancel MS Office, LibreOffice is shareware and will open the same files. It'll do 99% of what MS will do with Office. Only problem I've ever had was that it didn't label the zones of a pie chart the way I'd like. That's it and I've used it for 5 years. Sadly I really needed those pie charts to look better but a really old copy of Office worked fine for that one file.