ATX Community

You gotta love those customer service reps.....

BulldogTom

So I needed to call Bank Of America to get a replacement card because I lost mine.  OK, I shredded it accidentally but that is a different story.   Anyways, I need to call the customer service department.   What is the first question the computer asks?   "What is your card number?"  

I don't know, because I am reporting it lost (shredded - different story), but luckily, after doing nothing on my keypad they shoot me to the next prompt that says "If you are calling to report a lost or stolen card, press 1".   Now we are getting somewhere.  

"We are experiencing extremely high call volume.   Your call will be answered in the order received."   Time to play some solitaire on my computer.   Missed two calls waiting for a live person.  Finally get a live person (from TN...she said so when she answered, sorry @RitaB if you think I am making fun of your state).   What is the first question the rep asks?  "What is your 16 digit card number?"  

Me "I don't know.   I hit the button to tell you that I need a replacement card.  Maybe the computer did not tell you that when the call was routed to you."

And here is the kicker...I kid you not....this came out of her mouth...obviously reading from a script..."Did you know you can go online to the BofA website and take care of this?"   

Me..."How do I do that if I don't know my card number?"

Crickets.....then ..."oh, sorry about that, lets get you taken care of, what is your social...…"

I just wanted to say "Here's your sign".

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Haha 3

I won't go into the details, but I had  similar experience recently with a B of A credit card in regards to setting up automatic payments.

On the face of it their credit card website looks very professional etc, but when you go down to the next level I was going around in circles.

Tried to get help from a real person on the phone, they emailed instructions telling me  to do the same thing which had already not worked.

I am in the process of closing this credit card and will never do business with B of A again.

It's a tossup as who is the worst B of A or Wells Fargo !

• Like 2

I have an encrypted PDF of all my credit cards (front and back for phone numbers), passport, drivers license, insurance forms and so forth - it's saved in my email. If traveling I know I can get a copy of everything.

You can order replacement debit or credit cards right off the BofA website.

Why would anyone call? That's like mailing a letter.

• Like 1

Often these phone encounters are followed by a message:  "Please take a survey to tell us of your customer service experience today."

Customers are often furious, but these corporate giants use these surveys to chew out the poor reps that were on the phone.  These guys(girls) are usually not the problem, and spend their time having to defend idiotic policy decisions made by people far above their heads.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Edsel said:

Often these phone encounters are followed by a message:  "Please take a survey to tell us of your customer service experience today."

Customers are often furious, but these corporate giants use these surveys to chew out the poor reps that were on the phone.  These guys(girls) are usually not the problem, and spend their time having to defend idiotic policy decisions made by people far above their heads.

Quite true, the reps I dealt with were very friendly. The results, not so good!

• Like 1

Remember, shutting down cards can adversely affect your credit score because you are now using a greater percentage of available credit.  Better to just keep it in a draw and use it every 5-6 months for a small charge to keep it active.   BTW B of A is one of the easiest banks to get a line increase on and offers great -0- percentage offers.  I put all my balances that build in the off season onto an interest free BoA card and pay it off each tax season.  Never incur interest charges this way.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2019 at 11:48 AM, michaelmars said:

Remember, shutting down cards can adversely affect your credit score because you are now using a greater percentage of available credit.

Very true.  However, I got a different company's card to replace BoA - and having too many cards also affects your score!  I do not carry balances, and I don't actually charge all that much, so my "percent of credit used" is pretty low.  Well, maybe Christmas is an exception.  Some of the purchases for Gwen's wedding next month, too, for that matter. 

After the wedding I'll post some pictures!  And if any like gory pictures, I can post during-and-after pictures of the ripping apart and re-building of my dress - required since it was perfect but did not come in a petite.  It was 7" too long, plus the shoulders were too long as well.  Gorgeous dress, and I have some dramatic photos of it in several pieces out on a sewing table.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

...pictures of the ripping apart and re-building of my dress - required since it was perfect but did not come in a petite.  It was 7" too long, 

I have met you.   Saying you are petite is generous.  It is like saying a nuclear particle is small!   I would have thought you shop in the young girls department....HaHa!

Love you my sister from another mister.   Just could not resist the chance to poke a little fun at your expense.

Tom
Modesto

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, BulldogTom said:

I would have thought you shop in the young girls department....HaHa!

Sneakers from the boys' department.  They are wider, sturdier, and cheaper!  And my fall jacket is a kids' large (the XL was too big), as it fit far better than the women's small.  But the young girls' department clothes don't work; not enough room for the hips!

Hey, if I can get some better quality clothes and shoes for less money in the kids' department, that's a nice win for me.  And my legs are long enough to reach the ground, so that part is all set, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I was in college, I shopped in the boys department for things like tank tops and tees and in the girl's department for dresses. I'm mid-to-tall, but was very skinny and that was in the sixties with mini dresses in style. The clothes were much better made for the rough and tumble of kids, so they were great for this bicycle-riding coed. I saved a bundle of money. Wish I could still do that, but no longer skinny.

• Like 1