ATX Community

MFS Spouse refuses to give SS#

TaxmannEA

You may still be able to get a transcript of the last return filed, 2015?  If she was on it as a joint return, her SSN will be on it. You will have to be registered for both e-services and Secured Object Depository (SOD) where the transcripts will be deliverd.  They are no longer faxed, but the good part is that the names, SSN's and addresses are no longer truncated.   Of course you will also need form 2848, or 8821.

• Like 3

I'd write "Refused" in the space for her social security number and paper file.  Hopefully here isn't a big refund hanging in the balance. Does the fact that he hasn't filed in 3 years and she refuses to provide the social security number cause you to feel uneasy in any manner?  (For me, a couple of alarm bells are sounding.)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, Richcpaman said:

Is this a case where there is separation after June 30th and some years may be filed as "Single"

Either way, I would just paperfile and mark it "refused to provide"

Rich

Couples separating BEFORE June 30 allows those that qualify to claim HOH.   Otherwise, filing status is that of the last day of the year.   To claim "Single", spousal support would have to have been declared by the court.

For the other- my suggestion is "Not Available".  

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, Max W said:

If there are no tax differences for filing single, the return could still be efiled.  The IRS doesn't know who is married and who isn't.  They are only interested in getting the right amount of tax.

You wouldn't know that unless your client is itemizing.

Remember that if the spouse itemized deductions, your client cannot get the standard deduction (except for 2018) for the other two years your client will have two choices. Itemized deductions or standard deduction becomes zero.