ATX Community

Remote Desktop

Tax Prep by Deb

27 minutes ago, MDEA said:

i called them they gave me a 50% discount to stay.

What was your salesperson's name?  When it was time for me to renew, my salesperson refused to give any discount at all.  I WAS a 20 year customer, but that made no difference.  They wanted to increase my subscription price by 400%.

What is this, about WIN10 having remote access built in?

36 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

What is this, about WIN10 having remote access built in?

Remote Desktop. It's been in windows for many versions now. We use it for several clients, but it's been recently "jazzed up", although the technical details are above my pay grade.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028379/windows-10-how-to-use-remote-desktop

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

I use Splashtop.

I actually downloaded the week trial and am playing with it.  For the price difference I am going to change.  I hate to call and try to get a cheaper price.  If they truly want to keep me as a client, then they need to act like it.  In all honesty I really don't see a lot of difference in terms of how I use the product.  So it's good by for me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:52 PM, Medlin Software said:

I use Splashtop.

How do you find the performance of Splashtop vs. GoToMyPC?  We have switched but are noticing more performance issues.  I did talk to techsupport and they changed some settings.  Changing to a mirror driver for screen capturing options  seemed to be the most noticeable improvement.  Once we get thru 10-15 and move from Win7 to Win10 we will reassess if there are still performance issues.  There are times where Splashtop is almost impossible to work in and then you get disconnected - whereas disconnections were very rare with GoToMyPC.  

• Like 1

I have been working with Splashtop and have not had any problems other than display settings.  My main computer is a 24" monitor and my laptop is 15#.  My log on screen is very small (more of an annoyance than anything) and the tool bar is so small I can barely see it.  I thought about calling in to see if a setting might make a difference.

Performance wise I have had 0 issues.   I had disconnection issues a lot with GoToMyPC but I'm sure it had to do with my clients internet service.  For the price difference I am very happy with Splashtop.

• Like 1

I have not used any other brand for more than trial, so I cannot compare.

I can share I don't think ST has caused me any issues. The issues I have are all connection based, nothing ST can fix.  For instance, when I was in one our national parks, and was "reaching" with all the gear I had on hand to keep and boost my cell connection, I was able to get done what I needed to, albeit at dial up type speeds (no one near us had connection either, so we "shared" connection with some of our neighbors).  I have not come across a time when I had good connectivity where ST did not work.

ST has settings, like I suspect all do, which alter the resolution and screen update frequency based on connection speed.  I find those settings work just fine for me.  Like physical computer use, the display is the speed limiter, so set your remote software for the lowest display settings you can tolerate, and you will get somewhat of a faster "feel" to the connection.  Also, if you can set the main screen to the same resolution as your remote, or to not have the remote software do any scaling, that removes another "step" the remote software must do, which speeds things up.

When your mobile device has a different resolution than the main, there are settings to scale, or show in original size.  I prefer the scaling off, even when using a phone, as my old eyes don't see small well anymore.  Fortunately, the main app I need to use remotely is one I write, so I have been able to adjust the sizing and fonts to be legible on both the main and the mobile...