ATX Community

W 2 VERIFICATION CODE GOES AWAY

Lee B

Copied from IRS e News:

"Early reporting replaces Form W-2 Verification Code – IRS thanks all participants 

Because of new wage and income reporting requirements, the IRS announced it would discontinue the Form W-2 Verification Code pilot for the 2019 tax year.

Federal law now requires employers to submit Forms W-2 by January 31 each year, which helps the IRS combat fraud and identity theft and superseded the need for a verification code.

The IRS expresses its appreciation to the many stakeholders, especially the payroll service providers and industry software developers, who joined in the verification code project."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cbslee said:

Copied from IRS e News:

"Early reporting replaces Form W-2 Verification Code – IRS thanks all participants 

Federal law now requires employers to submit Forms W-2 by January 31 each year, which helps the IRS combat fraud and identity theft and superseded the need for a verification code.

This has been in place now for 3 years.  

• Like 1

I liked the old schedule. I'd send them out. Then get the calls about I Moved, Changed My Name When I Got Married or... But, still had time to correct the government file before sending. But I see their point. And, I hated those teeny, tiny verification codes that are only on one copy, so I miss them or the client didn't even give me the copy with the code. Good riddance.

• Like 2

The codes were optional.  I was not privvy to the entire process, but my cynical hat impression was it was from the big PR processors wanted to try to better insulate themselves from fraud.  IIRC, it was announced shortly after it became known that there were a large number of fraudulent filings using certain software.  Employers having to file W2's before the individual returns get processed is a more secure method than a made up code which likely could have been reverse engineered.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, Medlin Software said:

Now that anyone can create and print anything, any item not under jurat is barely worth the paper it is printed on. 

Just went through the paperwork to get my Real ID (state just finally got around to it recently). They accepted a W2 I printed off from your software as proof of my SSN. Mind boggling to me and I hope they verify it somewhere else.

• Like 4

IIRC, the DMV employees had to be trained (certified?) to process the Real ID apps, and no further checks are done (maybe only name match on the SS, but most in CA had already linked their SS to their DL).  Years ago, I was part of a youth spoorts program, and we had do do deeper checks then, for any volunteers, and even deeper checks for All Star players.  Thankfully, we had some "in the know" locally who were able to help (this was before the electronic methods they use today to try to deflect liability).

After all these years, I finally felt the desire to get my tribal ID.  I had to send more information than needed for a Real ID.  Of course, the tribal ID is also flawed, since in my case, it relies on the Dawes Roll, which has no real bearing to quantum, other than who was willing to sign up for the roll, and who was "considered" part of the tribe at the time.  One side of my lineage did not sign up as they were afraid of the "federal men".  I snicker when I see blurbs saying how "one drop" regulations are gone... (I prefer to think I belong to the human tribe, but as I get older, and worry about leaving family behind, there are available benefits - medical specifically - I cannot ignore.)

I know of some people who have had more than one SSN in their lives, for legitimate reasons, and sometimes there are conflicts which also proves the point there is no magic number or card which is infallible.

If you ever see a birth cert where the official signature (such as the MD) is typed, even though the requirement is for a physical signature, it does not mean the cert is invalid despite the requirement.  Proves looking at a BC in its face is not enough knowledge to prove validity of the BC.

• Like 2

I have to pick one or the other in the next year, passport or real ID.  I was mentally ready, until I had to help our daughter get a new ID.  Probably will go with a pass-a-port (nope, not born in Jamestown either) in case we want to visit Canada again.

I always snicker at my DL since so much information is outdated, and could easily be checked if the "system" really cared.  If my DMV worker can be qualified to vouch for my real identity, but cannot see my hair is no longer black... and that I no longer at my racing weight of 170.

And with the comment about a pay stub being accepted as proof of anything, I will no longer scoff at the one jurisdiction where the employer must SIGN the stubs...

• Like 1