ATX Community

Employee Under 18

Edsel

Taxpayer wants to employ grandchild who turns 18 during year.  His birthday is June 1.  Until June 1st he is paid $2500, and he is paid $3000 on payrolls after June 1.

Which of the following are true for his W-2 wages?

1. His Total wages are $5500, and $3000 is taxable for Social Security Wages.
  2. His Total wages are $5500, and $5500 is taxable for Social Security Wages.  Turning 18 at any time during the year is construed as turning 18 on January 1 of that year for social security wage purposes.
  3. His Total wages are $5500, and  $ 0 is taxable for Social Security Wages.  Turning 18 at any time during the year is construed as turning 18 on January 1 of the succeeding year for social security wage purposes.

Medlin is correct IF this isn't for household help.  The employer isn't the child's parent, so that rule wouldn't apply and the entire $5,500 would be taxable for SS and Medicare.

However, IF this is for household help, see the rules on this page that detail the age issue regarding SS/Medicare withholding:  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc756

• Like 2

"I learn something new every day."

I try as well.  I had not thought about household help, as it is not something I run across often.  One of my umpire mentors always said it is better to be on the way up - the two choices were to be on the way up (learning), or on the way down (not learning)...

• Like 2