ATX Community

Brain Done - need help with assets and death - 1040 to 1041

WITAXLADY

Client dies Mar 2018, tax return to be filed, 1040 - part year, - do the assets from the Sch E and Sch F get "sold" to the Estate, 1041?

I understand the stepped up basis to the heirs,  - just cannot wrap my head around the asset portion of the personal and of course I would like to file 2018 and 2019 together tomorrow and be done!

Thank  you,

D

36 minutes ago, WITAXLADY said:

How do you show that in ATX  - separately on the 4797 when sold?

Are you asking how to report the sale of the assets by the estate? If they were used in a business of the estate they would go on 4797, otherwise report as sale of capital asset.

39 minutes ago, WITAXLADY said:

that is what I did - and is it stepped up basis or FMV?

The estate gets a stepped up basis which is the FMV at date of death, if that is what you are asking.

• Like 1

I have the sales - but the issue was/is when I rollover the capital assets - and now I have this additional FMV or SUB and if I add it to the fixed assets as of 2018 - it shows as short term.. same with 4797  -  there is no place for inherited except on the 8949

I worked around it on the 4797 by using the date of purchase with the additional $$ amount of the FMV but that is not really correct

Thank you for your time

d

13 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

You can force it to part III of 4797 on the input tab.  Then it should flow to Schedule D as long term

To clarify, the non recaptured portion of the gain would show as LT capital gain.

I would also note in the description that the asset was inherited. 

• Like 2