ATX Community

2020 PTIN

JRS

Dear Tax Professional,

Congratulations! To thank you for repeatedly renewing your preparer tax identification number (PTIN) early, you have the opportunity to renew your PTIN before the season opens to other tax return preparers. The PTIN system is ready to accept your renewal from today through Oct. 15. Should you miss this opportunity, you can still renew your PTIN during renewal season beginning later in the week.

THERE IS NO FEE/COST FOR 2020 PTINs.

All PTINs expire on Dec. 31 and must be renewed annually. You must have a valid PTIN if you plan to prepare any federal tax returns for compensation or you are an enrolled agent.

Get started at www.irs.gov/ptin.

If you can't remember your User ID or password, use the "Forgot User ID" or "Forgot Password" links on the PTIN system login page. You will be asked to enter the email address associated with your account and the answer to your secret question.

To keep up with the latest info for return preparers, please subscribe to e-News for Tax Professionals.

-  Visit www.irs.gov

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Randall said:

I thought they brought back the fee.

Yes the courts said it was OK, however I believe it was sent back to US District Court to resolve the $ amount.

I believe the courts said the IRS could recoup their costs but no more than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How lucky you were!  I tried again just now but renewal was still not an option.  So I selected Update and realized that my license expires Dec. 31, 2019.  Aha!  That's the problem!

So I just spent over an hour renewing my Ohio CPA license.  Accountancy Board now shows Dec. 31, 2022.  I changed to that date on PTIN  but still no option to renew.  I can see messages, number of e-filed returns, etc.  just no renewal option.  Maybe in a couple of weeks...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

How nice that it isn't during tax season like mine in March.

Our anniversary is April 1st... and we always take some time that day, and celebrate more post-deadline.

I know a woman whose birthday is in January, and who grew up in the upstate NY snow belt.  They ignored her birthday, growing up, and instead celebrated her half-birthday, in July, since they could have a party that wasn't snowed out!  You could start having September celebrations.  Just sayin'...

• Haha 1