ATX Community

NT - Excel Print Range

Edsel

Not remotely related to taxes.

If an Excel spreadsheet has a range(s) specified, and an attempt is made to make a copy of that spreadsheet:

Pop-up messages appear and blow me out of the chair, asking me to answer "yes" or "no".  A "yes" answer means the old range will appear on the new spreadsheet, and a "no" answer will require me to rename the range.

In other words, no option is available to me to not have a range at all in the new spreadsheet.  I am doomed to have the range on the new spreadsheet regardless of how I answer the question.  I have thought of removing the range on the original spreadsheet but can't find it, and don't even know whether that would work or not.

Is there a solution which would stop the range dead in its tracks from being transferred to the new spreadsheet??  This seems like an elementary question that any idiot should know, but I guess that's who you have on the forum with you.

• Haha 1

Thanks Judy - mine has the same feature to clear, but upon copying the spreadsheet, the pop-up dialogue box still claims that I have a print range, with a "yes" or "no" and no way to win.

Something I'm doing wrong, no doubt.  Thanks Judy for your endless help.

These may not help, or may not be what would accomplish the task:

• try to save the worksheet and reopen it before copying, or
  • use 'save as' and rename to create a new file rather than copying it.

I tested mine and am not getting any pop-up. Maybe I have a different version, or something is set differently.  Sorry I couldn't help.

• Like 1

Thanks to all.  I am admittedly using an old version (Excel 2007)  For other reasons I'm going to hang on to it for as long as I can.

The pop-up box reads:

"A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'Print_Area', which already exists on the destination worksheet.  Do you want to use this version of the name?

• To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes.
  • To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box.

I will also state that the "destination worksheet" would be brand new and could not possible contain the Print Area except for the fact that it must have existed on the source worksheet.  Answering "Yes" stops everything, and the name is on the destination worksheet and anything further copied.  Answering "No" brings up another dialogue box where you have the opportunity to rename the range.  Neither option stops the range from being copied.

Thanks to all who have responded.  If you don't have this problem, I'm happy for you.

I googled the message you pasted, and this is the answer that I got:

You can see the definition of names by activating the Formulas tab of the ribbon and clicking Name Manager. You can delete it from there if you are sure you don't need it.

In general, you should click Yes to the prompt that you got, but it depends on the exact way the name is used.

Does this help?

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 7:54 AM, Gail in Virginia said:

You can see the definition of names by activating the Formulas tab of the ribbon and clicking Name Manager. You can delete it from there if you are sure you don't need it.

Does this help?

Gail, it helps tremendously.  Actually, when you access "Name Manager", all manner of names can be listed for any number of reasons.  The only ones who need to be deleted are the ones which are associated with "Workbook".  Only the ones that are designated "Workbook" will copy forward if not deleted.

Thanks Gail, and others who have responded.

Come back to Tennessee soon!

• Like 1