ATX Community

THE END IS NEAR!

BLACK BART

No, not a barefoot, long-haired nut in sackcloth and ashes entering a bar carrying such a sign (prompting patrons to say "Quick, another round!"), but instead the state of my outstanding clients' returns.  I've got two left: one's a straight-up businessguy who will appear tomorrow morning for sure and pay up all due (even my fee); the other's a maybe yes, maybe no - they owe IRS an arm and a leg so it's iffy -- we'll see.

And how many have YOU got to go? :unsure:

• Like 3

Since I am leaving on vacation in several days, I pushed all of my extensions to get me their information by the end of August.

I finished my last tax return on the 16th of September. However I still have 3rd quarter payroll reports to finish for 3 more clients .

• Like 3

I'm transmitting the last I'm going to do by Tuesday -- paying clients, that is -- a family for 2018 plus their new-to-me mother's 2017 and 2018 transmitted Saturday and just now. Now to prepare ours!

One dropped off today; he knows they'll be in November. And, another got me wife's revised info only a couple days ago and was told November (but I did work out his Schedule C so he can make his SEP contribution on time) and discovered husband has some negative expenses scattered in his Quicken books; so I'm very glad I didn't try to work them in now. And, yet another yesterday; told November.

I have my own payroll taxes and an all day tax seminar Friday in another town and fly to CO next Monday for days of tax classes and meeting up with some CO clients. I'll be back by Halloween.

But, we got invited to the Metropolitan Opera to see Porgy & Bess on Wednesday, so that's my treat.

And, I took off last Sunday through Wednesday for my granddaughter's 4th birthday in PA and to play with her baby sister, too. I know I read Cinderella more than 27 times!

• Like 4

Three stacks here in the office; two are new clients, and I'm about finished with them.  Four that I can think of who haven't dropped off, but I see on Facebook that two had nice vacations last week.  I'm about finished with them, too, if you know what I mean.  No, not firing them, just not going to care more than they do.  When they wander in, I will thank them kindly and say I'll be in touch in the next few weeks. 

• Like 5

For years,  my own return was the last tax return that I prepared until the year that I rushed off on vacation.

I  returned back to work in November and suddenly realized  that I hadn't  filed my own tax return.

Now my own tax return is the very first tax return that I file every year, which allows me to test my tax software. 😀

That's my story and I'm going stick to it.

10 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Now to prepare ours!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

In recent years, I've prepared our own after all my paying customers, at least all that I have a chance of completing by 15 October. A few years ago, ours was rejected, because someone used my SSN (not hubby's). So, printing and mailing checks to the IRS, CT, and IL was a day late with P&I. I filled out all the paperwork, but that was the year with some IRS hacks, including into their IPIN system, so I couldn't get an IPIN to e-file the next year. The next year, I stopped everything weeks early to be able to e-file ours in plenty of time, expecting it to be rejected again. It was not. I've been preparing ours about 1 October since, just in case. But, this crazy year with TCJA, rehabbing my new hip, and two new grandbabies, I started yesterday! Need to get through all my Schedule C-related stuff to be able to write a check for my SEP for hubby to run down to our broker today or first thing tomorrow. And, IL does not accept the e-postmark, so I'll send the states separately tomorrow and federal on its own. Next year, I'm back to 1 October.

I used to start ours first. But, broker statements get so many extensions. By then, clients are dropping off. Ours got later and later. Maybe I should just pick a time, such as August, and prepare ours no matter what.

Acknowledgements are straggling from the IRS, PA, and NY for those last three.

Good luck, everybody!

• Like 3

Every year I push all my procrastinators to be done by the 10th because this week in parts of MA and surroundings is prime fall foliage viewing.  I try to get points for scheduling viewing at the right time, to make up for the rest of the year of missed non work opportunities.  Life isn't all about work, I heard that somewhere.  

• Like 4

still counting.. as have too many in waiting for info! really!!

and then I get this email how I'm stressing her out as she thought she was filed in sept with her entity - wait!  expecting her to pay and she travels her all over and how can she stop and take care of this in a fire sale.. I sent her her personal 2x since 9/15 filing - revised when she decided to put all towards 2019 -

so I sort of need the revised 8879 and again my final payment -

oh - I thought your estimate covered it all

No - that is why I do not file til all the bills are paid - what part do you not understand - people like you get irritated and then do not pay me - so cough up the credit card and call it in!!

Going to bed now - I am too upset with her!!

all those I can finish are done - waiting for payments and signed 8879's and info ones and 3  IRS ones that I should file the state and 4 with state rejects I have to read up on and the 2 coming in yet ... worse than ever !

and then calmly email her am...

have a great fall all D

• Like 3

We have a couple of signatures waiting; everyone else will file late.  I refuse to care more than the clients do.  There is one multi-year non-filer where I'd love to get the 2016 finished but delivering it (older client who doesn't drive) might be tough to arrange today, so if it happens, it happens.  Not my fault the family waited until the middle of the spring busy season, this year, to contact me about returns un-filed since 2014.  Neither is it my fault that the elderly client is a hoarder who copies every. single. paper. multiple times, and I had to slog through over a half-dozen huge boxes of papers sorting first by year and then by whether or not they were tax-related, then if they were duplicates of ones I'd already found (at one point, in one box,  I counted thirty-seven copies of a blank worksheet, all annotated "do not discard" and with the year 2011 written on them - I pitched them all).

Like Lion, used to be our return was first every year, but then brokerage statements started not only arriving late, but getting corrected statements even later!  I try to finish ours in August (this year it slopped into September with wedding plans).  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

Not my fault the family waited until the middle of the spring busy season, this year, to contact me about returns un-filed since 2014.  Neither is it my fault that the elderly client is a hoarder who copies every. single. paper. multiple times, and I had to slog through over a half-dozen huge boxes of papers sorting first by year and then by whether or not they were tax-related, then if they were duplicates of ones I'd already found (at one point, in one box,  I counted thirty-seven copies of a blank worksheet, all annotated "do not discard" and with the year 2011 written on them - I pitched them all).

You definitely have way more patience than I do!  I have several long term non filers that tell me that they never throw anything away and have all the information.

However they never bring me anything, so I won't worry about them until they bring their stuff in if they ever do, since it's been more than 12 years since either one has filed !

• Like 4

So, in the wee hours of the morning as I finished every scrap of paper that I have for our joint return, I realize I don't have anything from Morgan Stanley: my IRA distribution, my SEP distribution with QCD, and Steve's investment account. When I plug in last year's totals to see what's going to happen to our returns, we're going to owe a bunch! I leave an email for our broker and a huge note for hubby and get a little sleep. When I awake, our broker had uploaded .pdf files for me. Then hubby found our paper copies still in their mailed envelope in his basket of bills to pay! He'd opened it but stuffed the papers back in their envelope months ago. Hope he doesn't have any corrected 1099s in his bill-pay basket. Also, he has five pages of trades! Our broker can't get me an Excel today. I have Scan & Flow, but old scanner broke and haven't set up the new. I guess I'm entering totals only for each security and hoping for the best. All-in-One is also broken (just receives faxes but won't send or copy or scan to my computer or a flash) so I can't attach a .pdf. But, maybe I can cull the pages I need from the broker's upload... Tomorrow, I'll decide if I'm keeping hubby!! And, in November I'm shopping for a computer, copier, color printer, etc. At least I nursed my computer through this season and my black only printer for tax returns is OK. Toner and paper just now arrived from Staples. Now, if IL will accept a direct debit from a non-resident, I don't have to finish before the PO closes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I transmitted our federal, CT, and IL returns with direct debits. Yeah!

I have a used HP all-in-one that's newer than my broken one from a client; it's sitting on my guest room/junk room floor. I ripped off the bubble wrap and plugged it in to scan the 1099-B to a flash to take to my computer to send with our return. I have a new Fujitsu scanner that's not set up. Who has time?!

This virtual water cooler keeps me going. Thank you, Everyone! And, luckily, grateful clients make it worthwhile.

• Like 5