ATX Community

using personal account to pay someone else's tax

schirallicpa

I know, I know - probably a dumb question.  Guy paid me extra cash to just "take care of bill for him" and I was considering just drawing from my account.  But the little devil on the other shoulder says its a bad idea to put my info on his tax account.  What if the guy has a lien in the future and the IRS finds my account.  

has anyone else ever done this?

Years ago I paid a client's state payroll taxes several times by writing a check from my business account.

It made me a little uncomfortable, but there was no question in my mind as to my client's financial stability.

I also paid some state registration fees for this client and another client with my business credit card.

At least use a money order or something without your name...  Any trace where you show any sort of control or participation in payment is bad.  While I have no idea what the exact tax prep rules on this are, payroll liability can "catch" anyone who had any sort of participation or control.  Defense is expensive, and someone wanting you to handle the payment must have a reason for doing so.

• Like 2

He paid me and that's not the issue.  And he gave me extra money to cover the tax he owed, and a couple bucks for my doing it for him.  So my lazy side this morning wanted to just pull it from my account and get his return out of here.  But I did go to the post office and got a MO.  But it begged the question, if my info shows on someone else's return, can the IRS or state lien or levy my back account in the event the same taxpayer didn't pay tax due.

• Like 1