ATX Community

Email Taxpayer Info

red2

On 10/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, cbslee said:

I only use password protected pdf files for out of town clients of which I have very few.

Every one else has to pick up their returns at my office,

I give everyone a physical return but the reality is through the year they want pdfs because the originals were lost and they want some sort of financing or tuition deal.

• Like 5

This coming year, I will also give them a paper copy plus I will offer them a pdf copy on a DVD or a Thumb Drive.

I will not email any clients or third parties pdf copies of their returns ,password protected or not !

Email over the internet is way too insecure ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

This coming year, I will also give them a paper copy plus I will offer them a pdf copy on a DVD or a Thumb Drive.

We have been giving CDs with password-protected pdf's for some years now.  What we are finding is that newer computers, for the most part, no longer come with optical drives!  So we are slowly weaning clients into paper copies in person (or by US Mail) with digital copies (still pw-protected) via our file portal.  I'm too cheap to buy that many thumb drives.  CDs are different - by standard ones, by the 25 or 50 pack, with paper sleeves, and it's only five or six cents per client.

• Like 3

Any client on an Apple computer couldn't have viewed that CD for a while I'm guessing.

Half the computers in my office have CD drives.

I have several clients who give me the same flash drive every year and want a pdf put on there with the current return. On Alibaba or Amazon you can buy bulk flash drives for <$1 each and about 128mb of memory. My dad has a box of them he's been given over the years but can't figure any of them out.

17 hours ago, Catherine said:

We have been giving CDs with password-protected pdf's for some years now.  What we are finding is that newer computers, for the most part, no longer come with optical drives!  So we are slowly weaning clients into paper copies in person (or by US Mail) with digital copies (still pw-protected) via our file portal.  I'm too cheap to buy that many thumb drives.  CDs are different - by standard ones, by the 25 or 50 pack, with paper sleeves, and it's only five or six cents per client.

We bought custom printed CDs from Tenenz for about a buck each. We felt it was worth it for firm image. We looked at custom flash drives but never bought them due to price.

I never password protected the PDFs, but I considered encrypting the CD or flash drive with a password, but I think I just ask each client if they want the PDF sent via our temporary portal at SendInc.com.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I never password protected the PDFs

Here in Mass, if we give a client something that, if they lose it, can expose their ssn's etc, *we* can get in trouble.  Even if I mask ssn's on the returns, the pdf of the source docs (mostly) has ssn's all over the place.

I kinds hate all the masking, frankly.  One year we caught an erroneous W2 (ssn was wrong) only *because* we could see it.  Couple other, similar, instances over the years.  We'd never catch anything like those again, with all the ssn's masked on everything.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

Employers and employees will now have to do verification work

Hah!  They won't.  Then they'll expect us to "fix" the mismatch letters.  And probably SSA reporting, too - 'cuz somehow it will be "our" fault.

Example:  my church gave employees six weeks' notice to double check their addresses (all seven of them).  AND the church secretary reminded people at staff meetings at least THREE times.  Of the two people who moved that year, ONE checked - and told the new address AFTER the deadline but at least before we mailed W2s.  The other's was returned to the church office; forwarding time expired.  You can't fix clueless.

• Like 3

There are things an employer can do, such as asking for verification in early Dec. which has always been a good idea (SSN, W4, Address, etc.).

Personally, I did not support masking on the W2, since it is the one time employees can see what the employer is using, but the fear mongers have convinced the masses that not masking is horrendous.

Well, more work equals more pay...

• Like 2