ATX Community

NT - Skype problem - tried google search and did not find a fix

BulldogTom

I am teaching a class and I am using Skype (because the class is all millennials).   When I try to connect with them on Skype, they can hear me, and they can hear each other, but I cannot hear them.   I have checked for the stupid stuff (like are my speakers muted) but I can't figure out why this is happening.   When I looked on google for a solution, I did not come up with anything that seemed to work.

Anyone know what I did wrong when I set up my Skype and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Modesto, CA

That sounds like a problem that I had with my class at a local junior college.  The remote student could log in, she could see me and I could see her,  but I had no sound at my end. In fact that computer had no sound at all. The volume controls and mute settings had no effect at all. The IT guys fixed it and told me that it was in some control area that I probably could not have found. I think that it was caused by some system upgrade. Maybe Skype doesn't like accountants.

The fist thing I tell my users is to grab the laptop by itself and play Vincente Fernandez from youtube. If they cannot hear a famous voice, most likely they won't hear another user.

What is common these days is that users connect a monitor that doesn't have speakers using HDMI cables and they cannot hear anything. As you might know, most users don't, HDMI cables transmit sound to the monitor which lacks an output device.

I said laptops because my employer only has laptops.

• Like 1