ATX Community

New York return +

Margaret CPA in OH

Daughter of friend has contacted me to prepare her 2018 returns.  She is an artist living in NY, Brooklyn, and sells through a Detroit gallery.  Yes, she is successful enough to live in NY but, well, an artist.  No extension, no estimated payments (she wrote, "I know, I know").  So I'm in Ohio but pretty sure she has to file NY state and NYC.  I will look up MI and Detroit as she will receive her 1099 (hope she has it already!) from the gallery that represents her. My question is whether I am allowed to file in NY.  I seem to recall sometime in the past that NY was getting really picky about out of state preparers.  If this doesn't work, any volunteers from NY?

Margaret, this NY page should help. CPAs aren't considered "tax preparers" for registration if they don't offer RALs or RACs.  If they do offer those products, then that puts the preparer into the "facilitator" status.  It seems that if you only do the one return and haven't done 10 in the prior year, you do not have to register.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpreg.htm

• Like 3