ATX Community

Restoring records on a new PC

BrandonPruitt

I am helping my friends grandma try to transfer all of the records from her old PC to her new one.  

It has been quite the adventure, and I thought I had it figured out, but now, on her new PC, it says "found 42 records" ... But it only displays 10?

I'm sure I didn't click a box somewhere but I can't imagine where / when.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

New computers are needed, but the "moving" is alway6s tough, even if one practices and has loads of experience.

#1 Do NOT reply on someone such as the you know who squad.  While they may transfer most things, they will more than likely not transfer everything.  Then, when you pint out things are missing, they cannot really help as they have their "one way" of making the transfer, and do not really go any deeper.

#2  Make a list off all applications which have important data.  Contact the application vendor for their instructions for moving to a new computer.  The application vendor is the expert with their product, so rely on them for their expertise.  Remember, software is best "installed", not copied or moved, then use the software vendor's instructions for backup.restore/moving data -  after the software has been installed on the new computer.

#3  Do the steps learned #2,  DO NOT wipe or discard the new computer for several months (I use 6) in case you discover something was missed.

#4 While I have not used one in decades, there is still likely specialty software to mass move data to a new computer.  (This is likely what the squad people do as well).  The problem is, things WILL be missed, and you will still have to install your needed software anyway, so these things, without loads of experience, may not really save time.

If you ignore #1, those in #2 cannot help after the fact.

• Like 1

Sniffing out where data are stored requires you to be quite the computer sleuth. Besides the usual suspects (Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.) you should look in:

C:\Users
C:\ProgramData

First, go to Windows View settings and set it to show hidden folders. I believe both of the above are hidden by default.

You can buy a relatively cheap hard drive enclosure, for the old drive, so you'll be able to access any missed files for a long time. Or just keep the old computer around, as has already been suggested.

And, of course, I always recommend a backup service to keep your files safe. But that brings us back to having to know where all your important files are scattered across your drive.

• Like 1