ATX Community

Another IRS letter

BLACK BART

Almost cannot believe it.  IRS processing must be eons behind.

Last year I efiled my extension return in October-mailed check the same day-they cashed it five  days later-then immediately billed me for that exact amount stating I owed them for the income tax.  I mailed front-and-back copy of cashed check to expedite correction (against a board member's advice to just let it work it's way out).  Thus began a series of IRS monthly  letters, each advising they had received my correspondence but needed an additional 45 days to look into the matter.   The fifth letter (five months later) stated that yes, they had, indeed, received and cashed my check after all and to forget the whole thing.

Same thing this time; efiled and paid October 1st, check cashed October 9th, received IRS letter October 21st demanding payment of same.  This time I WILL take that advice; they'll throw me in debtor's prison first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Have a client who owed on his original STATE return about $100. He pays it

We did an amendment and he owed $100 more and he pays it

He gets a letter stating he owes another $100. No clue why but he pays it. When I called they said I needed power of attorney to talk about it even though I had power of attorney and the checkbox. They hung up on me.

He gets a check in the mail for a $800 refund and no explanation.

State sends him a letter saying he owes $200 and he pays it.

Next year we aren't submitting the efile until the 15th of April. The IRS hasn't sent him any communication at all - only the state.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jim Oh Bkkr said:

...Don't you have to be in "good standing" to renew PTIN?

That's the first thing that occurred to me and was worried about the first time, but I timely applied for and got my PTIN back then, so nothing came of it even though it was February before it got cleared up.  This time I've already applied and received my '20 PTIN even though I (officially, I suppose) owe them money.  The bit about debtors' prison is just big talk, of course - I'm sure I'll pay it twice more if it comes to no pay-no file.

3 hours ago, Roberts said:

Have a client who owed on his original STATE return about $100. He pays it

We did an amendment and he owed $100 more and he pays it

He gets a letter stating he owes another $100. No clue why but he pays it. When I called they said I needed power of attorney to talk about it even though I had power of attorney and the checkbox. They hung up on me.

He gets a check in the mail for a $800 refund and no explanation.

State sends him a letter saying he owes $200 and he pays it.

Next year we aren't submitting the efile until the 15th of April. The IRS hasn't sent him any communication at all - only the state.

I extend my condolences.  You've one-upped me! :wacko:

• Haha 1