ATX Community

Upgrading our server from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Teresa K

Hi. I sent a message yesterday to ATX chat regarding upgrading our server from a Windows 7 platform to Windows 10. I was given instructions on how to move to a whole new computer. We are not doing that. Everything is staying on the same machine. We’re just upgrading it to Windows 10. Can someone please tell me if there is anything we need to be aware of (do’s and don’ts) or if there are any updates that will need to be made with our ATX server software prior to making the switch? We have ATX 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 all housed on our server. Thanks!

Can't offer an opinion on how ATX will operate after the upgrade.  But, there are "unexpected" things to be aware of, and not panic.  For instance, if you have software which installs and uses a custom font, the new version of Windows may not "see" the custom font until you reinstall the application which provided and uses the font.

• Like 2

Based on past posts from members of this board and posts on the official ATX board, your quite likely to have some problems.

The most trouble free approach will be to follow the process just like you are moving to a new computer:

1.  Back up everything for every year.

2.  You will need to do fresh installs of ATX software for each year

3. Then reinstall  your backed client files for each year.

Based on what I remember from other posters,  ATX doesn't respond well to the upgrading of operating systems on the same computer,

I assume due to changes in the Windows Registry.

Good Luck

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I assume due to changes in the Windows Registry.

Indeed!  As seen when the OS is updated, having application items affected by an OS upgrade causes issues (which is should not), and while the issue is MS caused, the support is pushed away from MS.

There are other ramifications, but the result is still the same, so what cbslee says.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Teresa K said:

Hi. I sent a message yesterday to ATX chat regarding upgrading our server from a Windows 7 platform to Windows 10. I was given instructions on how to move to a whole new computer. We are not doing that. Everything is staying on the same machine. We’re just upgrading it to Windows 10. Can someone please tell me if there is anything we need to be aware of (do’s and don’ts) or if there are any updates that will need to be made with our ATX server software prior to making the switch? We have ATX 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 all housed on our server. Thanks!

Find a qualified computer tech and buy a new computer.  There is a chance that the server you are using will not support WIN10.  

I upgraded our entire network to WIN10, and replaced 5 out of 12 workstations, for that very reason.

I have been through it.  Get new hardware.  Bite the bullet, otherwise, you will have never ending troubles from now on.

• Like 4

Jack offers a great tip.  it is usually less risky to obtain a new computer with the desired OS preinstalled, compared to upgrading an OS.  Arguably the main bene is having a known working setup (the old machine) on standby for 6 to 12 months while you get moved into the new machine.

Hardware is CHEAP compared to recovering from a loss of data (via hardware failure, human failure, etc.).

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Medlin Software said:

False.  W7 can be used as safely as today, via paid support, for three more years.  The paid support is not cheap, but it is available.

I would invest that money on a new computer and will bring Windows 10 at least 1803.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pacun said:

I would invest that money on a new computer and will bring Windows 10 at least 1803.

Agreed, but some may choose not to.  My point was not about the merits of paying MS for extended support, it was the fact that it can be done, that W7 can be safely used after Jan 2020, if one wishes to avail themselves of the paid support.  Companies (such as WK!) and individuals who claim otherwise are simply incorrect.

Even further, while no one should believe XP is still viable, MS has, and continues to (May 2019 for instance) release security updates for XP and other unsupported editions.  It is easy to do the math and realize MS knows many use XP, and it is cheaper to support XP unofficially than to deal with XP security issues.  There is a good chance this policy will repeat with W7 after Jan 2020, but then again, offering paid extended support may be a trial balloon so see if they can really stop supporting an OS.  I suspect that if there is another major need for a security update, which would save MS support costs, they will provide it free, XP to present.

What do you think about this computer?  $1,160 plus tax

XPS Desktop

Processor

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 9400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5

Chassis Options

460 Watt Power Supply

Memory

16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)

Hard Drive

512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD (Storage)

Wireless

802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1

CD ROM/DVD ROM

Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

XPS 8930

XPS 8930 Base

Keyboard

Black Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard (English)

Monitor

If accessories are purchased, they may ship separately

Driver

DW1810 driver

Mouse

6 Button Laser Mouse

Sound

Integrated 5.1 with WAVE MAXX Audio® Pro

Speakers

No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)

Cable

US Power Cord

Documentation/Disks

Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language)

Systems Management

Windows System driver, XPS 8930

Regulatory Label

Processor Branding

Intel® Core ™ i5 Processor Label

Additional Software

Additional Software

Operating System Recovery Options

Operating System Recovery Media Not Included

Service

1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

Monthly Subscription Services

No Monthly Subscription selected

Microsoft Application Software

Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial

Protect your new PC

McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription

Remove

$1,309.99

Recently I was able to transfer ATX 2015-2017 from a W7 to a new W10 ver1903 successfully, but just had ATX support remotly perform this for 2018.  They had to uninstall 2018 and reinstall the program.  It is now working OK and the data files are still there.  I had spent an hour or more yesterday with a rep who was unable to perform this task and transferred the job  to a tech.

ILLMAS,

Without seen your post, that's the computer I was purchasing 3 minutes ago, but my partner never sent me the code she received on her cell from Bank of America.

The key there is:

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 9400
Win 10 Pro, 1803 or 1903
16G of Ram
512 Solid state drive

I added to big monitors but they are sitting in my cart.

I don't like the fact that they don't send the Windows Media so you have to see/use the extra applications that they promote. A sales person said: We can send you a USB with an image... I said no.

Are

1 hour ago, Pacun said:

ILLMAS,

Without seen your post, that's the computer I was purchasing 3 minutes ago, but my partner never sent me the code she received on her cell from Bank of America.

The key there is:

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 9400
Win 10 Pro, 1803 or 1903
16G of Ram
512 Solid state drive

I added to big monitors but they are sitting in my cart.

I don't like the fact that they don't send the Windows Media so you have to see/use the extra applications that they promote. A sales person said: We can send you a USB with an image... I said no.

Are you getting the same price?   I will be doing a clean install of WIN 10 Pro, I dislike all the extra stuff dell throws in.

55 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

Are

Are you getting the same price?   I will be doing a clean install of WIN 10 Pro, I dislike all the extra stuff dell throws in.

Yes. I chatted with the sales person and it only reduced the price $10. He said I was getting a good deal already and there was no room for more discounts.

• Like 1