ATX Community

Unable to open return after restoring from backup

BrandonPruitt

I'm assuming you're on ATX.  This may sound silly, but have you tried calling support yet?  I know it's like flipping a coin as to whether the tech agent is (pick one) good/okay/terrible, but we recently bought two new WIN 10s and had some problems getting the rollovers to work.  Since we aren't particularly computer-literate it's (as you may know) like being on the dark side of the moon trying to comprehend the jargon (it's overwhelming).  Anyway, we called on a Friday about 15 minutes before closing and  described our problem.  She said "Well, that's going to take a while to fix; why don't I call you back at ten Monday morning."   I thought - "Yeah, sure."  But, Monday at 10 A.M. on the dot, our phone rang and it was her.  She got our ID and so forth; she already had our past years info, remotely downloaded all of it to us, walked us (each computer) through the whole process successfully.  It took about an hour.  

Her name was Emma and we tried to get her extension number for future use, but they won't give you one - you just have to take pot luck and hope they are cooperative.  Anyway, you may have already been through the wringer and this may not help, but just thought I'd offer it.   Max support line is 1-800-638-8291 (if that doesn't work call the sales number - that always gets you to somebody).   Hours are 8:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M. Eastern.  Good luck. :huh: 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BrandonPruitt said:

"the return you selected cannot be opened. Please restore a previous version of the return and try again"

I have had that happen but can't remember why.  Are you trying to open up in a different program year than it was created in?  Maybe it had something to do with a return that was rolled over but not opened?  Might of had to go back and open in previous year and then roll over again?  

Brandon, it may be helpful to know which years you are working with, and were the backups made using ATX's backup function from within the program?   Are you then using the restore function also from within the program itself?  Backup and restore using other methods or commercial software will definitely cause these errors.

Is this also related to moving files and programs to the new computer that you posted about separately?  If so, were the programs installed fresh on the new machine, not copied or transferred from old to new? 

I haven't used ATX in a few years now, but it used to be that from within the program, the backup function would allow the user to change the location of the backup. If this is still an option, try backup directly to a flash drive or CD and then using the program's restore function from that rather than backing up to the default and trying to copy the folder because you may be missing a piece of the puzzle.

If you are using the functions from within the program and still having problems, you should call ATX support. 

Edited by jklcpa

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a fix ... Makes me wonder why this incorporates a backup/restore feature at all.

I uninstalled everything on the new machine.  Ended all years' services in windows, deleted every ATX file, in the programs folder and the hidden "program data" folder.

Then, reinstalled each year, and instead of "restore" I just ended every service again, in windows, and replaced each folder with the folders from the old computer, again with each location ... After that, restarted each service and presto.

Took some time... But it works, and that's all I needed it to do 

• Like 2