ATX Community

Forgot Password on old XP computer

cred65

Thus, showing again, passwords are often a complete waste of time (such as meeting the security practices item in another topic).  Any password which has a workaround or reset capability should not be bothered with (if it can be avoided).  Even two factor items, such as getting a code via text message is untrustworthy, since it is still fairly easy for someone to "steal" your cell phone number away from you (unless, ironically, you setup a security process such as two step with your cell provider!).

• Like 1

Most likely your computer was

On 12/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, Medlin Software said:

Thus, showing again, passwords are often a complete waste of time (such as meeting the security practices item in another topic).  Any password which has a workaround or reset capability should not be bothered with (if it can be avoided).  Even two factor items, such as getting a code via text message is untrustworthy, since it is still fairly easy for someone to "steal" your cell phone number away from you (unless, ironically, you setup a security process such as two step with your cell provider!).

So, you think that a tech guy will be able to remove the password from ATX 2018 without you investing over $50K?

If they "steal" my phone, they have to also steal my thumb or contract an Israeli company to hack my phone as the FBI did when they had an iPhone without password.

Going back to to the original poster. Since you are talking about 2006 taxes, the hard drive, most likely, was not encrypted, you can get the ATX 2006 software from the vendor or your download folder from within that old computer.

I would pulled out the hard drive from that XP machine and attached it to a Win7 machine, copy the database folder, install ATX 2006 on the Windows 7 machine and you can print that return.  If needed, you might want to run Win7 in XP compatibility mode to install/run 2006 ATX

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pacun said:

So, you think that a tech guy will be able to remove the password from ATX 2018 without you investing over $50K?

If they "steal" my phone, they have to also steal my thumb or contract an Israeli company to hack my phone as the FBI did when they had an iPhone without password.

It is not what I think, it is clear passwords can be worked around as described in the second post.  Most password schemes have a reset function, which can be used, with relative ease, to reset 9guessing using pet names, etc.).  It is my contention that any password which can be reset is of no use against a pro hacker, since the reset process may not be secure.

Your physical phone does not have to be stolen to be "lost".  Someone can claim they are you, and get a SIM card for your number, then change the info so your number is no longer in your control.  With your number, they may be able to access things with two factor, since they will have your phone number to receive calls and text messages.  Phone providers have implemented auth methods to prevent this, but you have to "enable" the new security process.  For instance, one of my family plan members needed a new sim, and had to get me to share my secret code (or add them as an auth admin) to be able to get the new sim.  Had I not had the additional security on, with the proper phone number and name, they could have gotten a sim for any number on my account...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

It is not what I think, it is clear passwords can be worked around as described in the second post.  Most password schemes have a reset function, which can be used, with relative ease, to reset 9guessing using pet names, etc.).  It is my contention that any password which can be reset is of no use against a pro hacker, since the reset process may not be secure.

Your physical phone does not have to be stolen to be "lost".  Someone can claim they are you, and get a SIM card for your number, then change the info so your number is no longer in your control.  With your number, they may be able to access things with two factor, since they will have your phone number to receive calls and text messages.  Phone providers have implemented auth methods to prevent this, but you have to "enable" the new security process.  For instance, one of my family plan members needed a new sim, and had to get me to share my secret code (or add them as an auth admin) to be able to get the new sim.  Had I not had the additional security on, with the proper phone number and name, they could have gotten a sim for any number on my account...

I guess the FBI didn't think of your suggestion since they had to get a company from Israel to get that phone. If I am not mistaken, the FBI had access to the thumb and yet they had to hire someone to help with the password.

• Like 1