ATX Community

Encryption Software

Tax Prep by Deb

A while back (couple of years) I was using Symantec End Point Encryption Software.  When Windows tried to update  the Symantec software locked down my computer.  My computer guy was able to finally get it to un encrypt the hard drive and allow the Window update to install.  Since then I have not tried running the software, but I do like some of the add-ons like PGP Shredder.  I would like to use Microsoft's Bitlocker to encrypt the hard drive but am concerned that keeping Symantec on the same computer might cause a conflict.  Anybody have any experience with this?

Deb!

I use Windows Defender as my anti-virus and haven't had a virus since. I do download free programs occasionally to scan and they never find anything either. Avast BootScan was always the way I found my viruses in the past so I download and scan it occasionally.

I use Hasleo Bitlocker Anywhere to encrypt my system and a few MicroSD cards I use for storage. $14.95  There are free options but I liked their ease of use and small size.

I use SanDisk SecureAccess to encrypt my USB drives. Free

I've used Bitlocker with my last two computers (Win8 and Win10).  But I too like the Symantec (old PGP) shredder function.  So I still have the Symantec on my new computer but I don't use if for encryption, just the Bitlocker.  Does anyone know if Bitlocker (Windows) has a shredding function?

Other than when destroying the computer, what is the actual benefit of overwrite / shredder software?

If the disk is encrypted, it would take a significant amount of knowledge and time to access it anyway. I'm not worried about the FBI accessing my hard drive to see files I've deleted.