ATX Community

Donors credential at this forum

Pacun

Since we operate on a yearly basis, what do you think about having the donors classification removed and as we donate this year we get it back?

I have that designation right now and I have not donated for the last 10 years... don't you think it is unfair to you who donated last year?

Maybe a voting mechanism is in order for those in favor to keep it the way it is and for those who agree with and have it removed and added back when the donation button is activated during the year.

1 minute ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Donations can only be claimed, in the year they are actually made.

Short answer = NO

Jack, Pacun is asking about those that have donated to this forum in the past and have the designation of "Donor" that appears under their avatar.

@Eric do the donations have an expiration where the "Donor" designations shown in green revert to "Member"?

When I click "Donate" and then "Manage Your Donations" I can see two of mine made after you automated the tracking, and there is one from Nov 2018 that still says "Active".  There's another one that is also "Active" that hasn't reached its one year anniversary.

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

@Eric do the donations have an expiration where the "Donor" designations shown in green revert to "Member"?

When I click "Donate" and then "Manage Your Donations" I can see two of mine made after you automated the tracking, and there is one from Nov 2018 that still says "Active".  There's another one that is also "Active" that hasn't reached its one year anniversary.

No, they don't expire.  I believe it says Active because it's basically treated as a subscription... but since you're not really receiving anything in return for the subscription (aside from my gratitude!), I don't take any actions to "deactivate" the subscription.

Pacun sent his recommendation a month ago, but I felt like it would seem like a money grab so I didn't do it.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't like the donor label at all.   I wish it would go away.    Not my site, so not my call, but I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable that they are not a donor.   I usually give one time per year, and when that label came about, it was a few months before I hit the button.   I felt kinda weird as one of the regulars on the board without a donor designation.   

I believe Eric knows how I feel about him and his work, and I would be willing to give more if he ever asked.   He hasn't, I give something every year, I have no idea how that stacks up to the giving of others and I don't care.   Eric has my contact info and could PM me if he thought I was slacking on what I give, and I would not be offended if he did.  He has never said what it takes to run the site nor made a suggestion on what each of us should give to keep it going.   That is his choice and I respect it.

Just my 2 cents.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Personally, I don't like the donor label at all.   I wish it would go away.    Not my site, so not my call, but I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable that they are not a donor.   I usually give one time per year, and when that label came about, it was a few months before I hit the button.   I felt kinda weird as one of the regulars on the board without a donor designation.   

I hadn't considered that, thank you for pointing it out.  I'll give this some thought... I'm not going to make any changes hastily, and will probably look to you folks for feedback before doing anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This forum, this site, is invaluable to me.  I've come to highly depend upon those who give of their time and expertise and answer the many questions that are posted here.  I also appreciate all that is involved in technically allowing it to happen.  I gladly contribute.  While I'm not looking for any recognition of my contribution, I personally do not feel the "Donor" tag is inappropriate.  If the decision is made to remove it fine.  If the decision is made to keep it, in my opinion it should reflect donors from the current calendar year.  Maybe the Donor tag is reset on 1/1 each year?  Again...just some thoughts to consider and obviously there are many scenario's that a "reset" would not be beneficial....especially to those who donate late in the year.

Eric...can the "Donate" designation be reset on the one year anniversary of the donation? 

• Like 6

Pacun's original post indicates to me that there are fewer members making donations  than it would appear.

Frankly, I find that annoying.  I think that every new member should receive 12 months free.

After 12 months they should be required to make a minimal donation of a nominal amount of say $ 10 or $ 20.

I don't really care about the donor tag, but I do care about the majority of the members contributing $ 0.00 !

• Like 2

I don't see "donor" tags. On anyone. I donate, but not on any schedule. But, I don't see a tag below my name. I just see names and when posted.

I don't care about tags.

But, I would respond positively to a reminder to donate, sent annually or whenever funds are needed.

7 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Ah, in my profile, of course. I was thinking under my avatar on each post or something more visible. Thanx, Pacun.

It IS visible to everyone, in every post you've made.  It's right below your picture.  For people that haven't donated, it simply says "Member"

20200103_160905.png.622babc3f772bf5122de757e66ee9c55.png

Huh, all I see is Lion EA followed by Posted 1 hour ago. Same when I look at jklcpa's post above. I also don't see a state or how many posts. Just the avatar, "name," Posted 1 hour ago, and then the new post the person is making. No "donor" or "member" or any other information at all. Very lean and gets right to the new post. So, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. But, if "donor" or not shows all the time, I can understand why.

46 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Huh, all I see is Lion EA followed by Posted 1 hour ago. Same when I look at jklcpa's post above. I also don't see a state or how many posts. Just the avatar, "name," Posted 1 hour ago, and then the new post the person is making. No "donor" or "member" or any other information at all. Very lean and gets right to the new post. So, I didn't see what all the fuss was about. But, if "donor" or not shows all the time, I can understand why.

Interesting. Are you using a mobile device or desktop? What browser?

I'm on a desktop using Chrome and am logged in as Lion. I never questioned the "lean" look as it gave me the poster's name and the post and that's what I want. So, I didn't understand the fuss over donor labels. Now I do! (And, I'm getting a new Dell desktop with Win10 as early as next week.)

PS When I click on a name, Pacun for instance, it takes me to his profile that includes his name, avatar, and a green donor label there.

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

I'm on a desktop using Chrome and am logged in as Lion. I never questioned the "lean" look as it gave me the poster's name and the post and that's what I want. So, I didn't understand the fuss over donor labels. Now I do! (And, I'm getting a new Dell desktop with Win10 as early as next week.)

PS When I click on a name, Pacun for instance, it takes me to his profile that includes his name, avatar, and a green donor label there.

Interesting. My view is the same in both Firefox and Chrome.

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

Lion EA   

Posted 4 minutes ago

Don't know how to make the picture show, but the above two lines is a COPY of the ONLY two lines that appear with my avatar, and then my post begins. In my view.

You must save a screenshot and then share that file as an attachment. Once you've uploaded the attachment, within the attachment there will be clickable "+" and a trashcan. Clicking on the "+" within the attachment will insert it into your post where the cursor is positioned at the time.  There is a pinned post with more about attachments that is in the "Help" section.

• Like 1

Pacun   Posted Thursday at 12:19 PM

Since we operate on a yearly basis, what do you think about having the donors classification removed and as we donate this year we get it back?

I have that designation right now and I have not donated for the last 10 years... don't you think it is unfair to you who donated last year?

Maybe a voting mechanism is in order for those in favor to keep it the way it is and for those who agree with and have it removed and added back when the donation button is activated during the year.

Quote  Jack from Ohio   Posted Thursday at 01:07 PM

Short answer = NO

jklcpa   Posted Thursday at 01:09 PM

On 1/2/2020 at 1:07 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

Short answer = NO

Jack, Pacun is asking about those that have donated to this forum in the past and have the designation of "Donor" that appears under their avatar.

Quote cbslee  Posted Thursday at 01:11 PM

On 1/2/2020 at 12:19PM, Pacun said:

I have been donating every year, perhaps I deserve a Gold Star 

Edited by jklcpa
Moved quotes into quote boxes. Not sure why this is happening or whatelse Lion was intending.