ATX Community

Filling out the new W-4

Jack from Ohio

How is everyone handling the process of filling out the new W-4 for our clients?  Should we be charging for the time and effort we expend, to explain (HA HA) to them how it works?  I just spent 45 minutes doing just that.  I can tell you, she does not understand one bit better, than before our "class."

I have companies demanding that employees fill out a new W-4.  I thought it was voluntary?

Ideas? Thoughts? 

Edited by Jack from Ohio
Forgot a line

I have sent out emails to my payroll clients plus had face to face meetings with my larger clients.

Several business clients knee jerk response is to have all of their employees fill out new W - 4s.

Any non business i.e. 1040 only clients will be charged a fee

Definitely not forced to (federal).  Some states require a new form.  But, unless the employee is termination proof, not likely something to hang their hat on (even though the employer is likely wrong).

The address issue is a different animal, but a real issue, not only to get documents to employees, but for proper state and local withholding.  When an issue, I ave employees sign a statement each Dec, or as needed, verifying their domicile address.

Despite many messages warning of the change, and how to handle it, I am getting "panic" contacts today asking why federal allowances can no longer be edited in my software.  As of Jan 1, any changes to W4 information must be made as a result of the new W4, which has no allowances on it...

The first one was a person, really upset, as they have an employee (intuition tells me it is the person contacting me, the owner) and they want to change the allowances to a high figure to eliminate federal WH, as they have done at the beginning of each year.  I had to point out that without a valid W4 (as of 1/1/20, the new form only) no changes could be made.  The "but I have always just made the change" expected reply was offered, but eventually, they were able to grasp the reason for change.

I am doing face to face with my clients and their employees to explain their current situation (withholdings) as well as entertain any changes they may want to make. The IRS has a fairly straight forward excel calculator. I agree with Medlin, it is not mandatory to use the new form unless you want to make a change. The federal tax tables for beginning Jan 2020 have gone down a small amount. In the big picture, I still think the employees need to check their withholdings to make sure enough or too much is being withheld.