ATX Community

Payers, can those be hand picked and deleted?

Pacun

I have duplicates of payers such as DC Gov, DC Government, Government of DC, Government of the District of Columbia, Government of the District of Colombia, and a few other combinations. I would like to hand pick payers and delete them. Where do I do that?

Yes, in Payers Manager, but I find they keep getting added back when you open a client that has the bad payer in it.

Also, best to use payers by EIN instead of name, but we still get lots of duplicates. Fortunately, duplicates don't really matter.

I only use payer manager on W2s because on all other forms it's just a name with no address and often no EIN is required.

I am not in front of my ATX computer, so I am not sure if what I am talking about is feasible. So, I should clean up and the mess and I need to check manually add payers only. That way when I client is rolled over, it will not mess up my clean list.

I wish it was that simple. You can use or not use payer manager. If you select 'use' then payers are added to the list if the box on the form is checked to add to payer manager. I usually customize the master form to have that box be unchecked, especially in 1099DIV & 1099INT because we don't use payer manager in those forms, and people enter all sorts of crap in the name field.

You can clean it up in 18 then rollover payers into 19, but every time you open a rolled over return in 19 that has an unwanted payer name with the 'add to payer manger' box checked, that payer will get added back to the list when you save the return. It's really just a waste of time trying to keep the list cleaned up.

On 1/6/2020 at 6:17 PM, TAXMAN said:

I found this to being annoying in that you may 1099r Jones using the same FEI# but 4 different addresses. I tried to clean it up but it became useless. Any body have a smart way to do it I am all ears.

You do NOT need addresses on 1099Rs. That's the secret. Only W2s require addresses. It's a huge waste of time to enter the address and EIN on 1099-INT or DIV or MISC or K1s.

It's also a huge waste of time to type the whole name on a 1099R. I've seen people type things like:

State of Missouri Teachers Retirement System
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Inc.

I just type:

Missouri
Metlife

Never had a problem. Which means IRS is just matching the EIN.

And I never enter any punctuation either. Not even apostrophes in names like O'Brien.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1