ATX Community

Win 7 - Win 10 question

JimTaxes

This is just a spare computer.. I have modern Win 10 machines but I do have this spare Win 7. either I keep it Win 7 and take it off the internet or I upgrade to Win 10.  I read the specs for Win 10 but wanted to get real world opinion. Is it pushing it, asking too much to go to Win 10 with this:

• Pentium Dual Core 2.6GHz
  • 3 GB Ram
  • 32 bit

Really two concerns on attempt to go to Win 10

1. That the switch over gets gunked up for some reason and I get stuck with neither 7 or 10

2. If it does convert to 10 that it is so slow making it difficult to use... it is already slow on 7 doing some things.

This has specs and talks about running Win 10 on an older computer. 
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-sure-your-computer-can-run-windows-7/

If your internal hardware isn't up to spec, maybe you should consider upgrading to Win 8.1. It is still supported through sometime in 2023 and may be a better match for the hardware in this old machine.

We just upgraded our 6 y/o computers from Win 7 to Win 10. No issues discerned. One computer is used by my assistant to do monthly Writeup and is rarely online.  The other is my old one and has ATX programs back to 2012. It will be used only for when someone comes in that is a late/multi year nonfiler.  I have a new dell win 10 pro with dual hard drives and SSD which is almost always online. The new computer has ATX 17 18 and 19. 

I'm just a one person office.  I use a Win10 computer for my work.  I have my previous Win8 computer in my office.  I don't connect it to the internet anymore.  I have the previous computer to that a Win7 at home.  I don't connect that to the internet either.  I do have a laptop.  I bought it when Win8 came out.  I upgraded it to Win10.  A lot of funny things happened.  I won't go into them and I don't have the techie expertise to describe them.  Luckily I don't use the laptop for work, just connecting to the internet at home.  Many here are more tech knowledgeable than me.  For me and my experience, I will not upgrade the OS.  I'll buy a new computer with the latest OS.

10 hours ago, cbslee said:

due to hardware considerations.

Those hardware concerns are largely tied to age of motherboard and hard drives.  Why put in the money when components get to an age where they mail fail?  However, if you know you have a robust machine, and it meets the specs for W10, go for it.  Just (as always) keep good backups!

• Like 1

And one other note:  we still have a W-XP machine - an ancient laptop.  It's not connected to the internet, and never will be again.  But it runs ONE program, that doesn't run well on more-modern operating systems, and for that one program it's worth keeping.  (Yes, the program in question has an "upgraded" version - they removed functionality, and added multiple layers of complexity.  We tried it, reverted instantly, and will keep the XP machine going as long as possible.)

• Like 2