ATX Community

IRS account access disabled - again

Margaret CPA in OH

Update: After trying on my own to access and update, etc., I spent 1 hour, 58 minutes (but who's keeping track?) on the phone with a super nice agent who really tried to help without success.  I kept getting to the point (5 times) where I put in my cell number for a text for 2fa and no text.  Agent said it would be escalated and I would get a call back HAH!  I tried the IRS2Go app but, of course, one must go through exactly the steps I was unable to complete to use that.  He did say to text "In" to the IRS number which I did.  No response.

I turned off my cell phone overnight and this morning Voila!, a text was there - oh happy day!  So I went back in and tried the whole thing again with success this time!  I got a texted code!  And then I could see that my account had 5! unsuccessful login attempts since Oct. 29, NONE OF THEM BY ME!  That was scary to see.  Not sure what, if anything to do now.  I wonder if folks find us, at least me, and try to login for nefarious reasons. 

Retiring in 3 years.  I am so sick of passwords, logins, 2fa, blah, blah, blah....

• Like 1

Most of the time it is phone or MAC computer that locks the accounts. As you surf, you pass by the IRS site and they try to log on with your old password and eventually you get locked out.  Hackers don't waste time trying to guess passwords. All delete all you generic passwords from your windows machines and you should be OK.

Pacun, what you write may be true for some or even most people but I have never tried to access IRS through my phone until the agent suggested downloading the IRS2GO which I will now uninstall.  And  I use Firefox browser for everything online, including on my phone,  except to access IRS which, of course, only works well with IE.  So no accidental logins there, certainly not 5 times over 4 months.  I don't have a clue what actually happened but am confident it had nothing to do with me at all.  I'm just grateful that I again now have access.  Oh, I don't think IRS allows any passwords to be saved anyway.  At least I haven't seen that, just the username.

• Like 1