ATX Community

Who in this group, uses portals to send documents to clients?

Jack from Ohio

20 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I use temporary portals like send.firefox.com and sendinc.com. I tell clients to use these same free services to send me info. Both they and I feel better knowing it's temporary and their sensitive files aren't sitting out there somewhere to be hacked.

Are there limits to the number of e-mails that can be sent?  Can there be more than one user?  Send me a PM?

Abby, I use Firefox exclusively (save for IRS stuff) and wondered about that option.  I have been using Adobe encrypted to 256 bit to send returns to clients for review but the signed 8879 has always presented issues except for a single client who had the capability to sign electronically and return encrypted.  How do you handle e-signatures, if you do?

I've just signed up to try Verifyle as mentioned by a couple of folks to utilize the e-signature capability.  I did read through all the terms and privacy stuff (never, ever their fault, they can do anything, etc.) and am just concerned about the part that says they can keep and use User content, which I take to mean anything I or clients upload.  I do like the Firefox temporary aspect.

Guess I better get this straightened out last month!

• Like 1

I use CCH's eSign. The license is free, just pay per use. It was the first to meet the IRS requirements for a verified electronic signature. By the way, NY will not accept electronic signatures. For my NY residents and NY commuters, I upload to FileShare; they print, sign, upload to FileShare or fax or snail mail or drop through the mail slot in my front door. I have a few who UPS or FedEx or even email, no matter how many times I tell them not to email unencrypted. CCH's eSign will not work for the young children without a credit history to lead to third-party authentication.

Lion, thanks for this, especially about New York!  I am still trying to finish that footdragger artist from New York for 2018 and did not know about this.  (By the way, how many times must I contact this person to remind her that I am STILL waiting on some information despite her 'urgent' notes about having to have these by November 15, wait now December 15, wait now January 31, wait now January 20th to have in time to apply for health insurance.  But now I'm sick, now I'm in DC and won't return until Wednesday.... Sorry for the rant now over)

I will have to check whether ATX allows this.  Also, I always send Client Copy for the clients to review with all the input pages so they can check themselves the data sources.  It appears as though this allows only the file copy.  I also include the state and local returns for their review.  How much does this cost?  If I have to do the local returns (many of them have locals, ugh!) separately, I'm not sure this would be my best solution.

With eSign, it sends the client his returns, federal and states, for review with the signature pages at the front. The small fee is per SSN, so one fee per client no matter how many states. If a married couple, I use both email addresses, but eSign combines the signatures on one 8879 and one form for each state and sends them back to me. Clients can sign on their touch screen, such as a cell, or type in their name after passing the KBA questions.

If I'm sending a prior return someone lost, I upload to FileShare. I have a couple clients that like for me to keep them up there, so they can grab a new copy if they need for mortgage or FAFSA or whatever. Otherwise, after I see they downloaded and I think we're done with that year, I delete before I upload the current year. I've had clients get confused and download everything they see!

I also have on FileShare -- available to all -- my engagement letter and a Goodwill or Salvation Army list of prices for used goods. Going to upload 2019 EL now.

NY is the only state that will not accept electronically signed forms at all. Some states have restrictions, such as residents or full-year returns only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I began a Verifyle account and watched videos for a couple of hours.  Showing my ignorance here, but how is an electronic signature created?  There were frequent referrals to touch screens, etc. but the majority of my clients are, well, on the older side and do well with using a computer, probably laptop and not with a touchscreen.  Is there a difference between a digital signature and electronic signature?  I am finding conflicting info and seeming interchangeable terms. 

Any guidance appreciated!

I have been messing around with Verifyle and seems to have everything I am looking for. Paying a little extra for the signature feature is not horrible. I would think my clients would have a fairly easy time using it. I have been searching for a simple one stop solution. I am a MAX user so integration options seem to be only iFIRM and I have not heard great things. 

Thanks for the info on CCH eSign / FileShare.

I have used firefox alot, but having more and more requests for e signing...

• Like 1

I agree that Verifyle is probably my answer and I don't think $198 annually is going to break my bank.  I just don't know how clients will create an electronic signature.  The one client I have that used it last year is very sophisticated with technology but the majority are not.  They mostly have desktop computers or older laptops. Even if they have smartphones, I cannot imagine anyone trying to review a tax return on that tiny screen let alone 'signing' something.  I need more education on this as will many of my clients!

Verifyle is free via NAEA and other professional organizations. But, it's a communication tool and can be for storage and document delivery (from you and to you), too.

You need a process that meets the IRS definition of an authenticated signature, one that uses third-party authentication, to use electronic signatures. There are more out there every year. (I use CCH's eSign.)

taxbrewster, thanks for the replies.  I also think that Verifyle meets the IRS standards.  What you may have missed is my comment that many, maybe most, of my clients do not have smart phones and would/could not do what the video shows anyway.  I didn't see how to do that on a desktop computer.  It does seem that the 'signature' isn't a true signature, rather something generated in some random font passing for a signature. I plan on going through the exercise by sending something to my husband to see how hard it is for him.  He is a retired mainframe person.  While he finally broke down just a couple of months ago and got a smartphone when his flip phone finally died, he is a good test candidate!

Just remember with Verifyle that YOU have to verify your client's identity for 8879 purposes and YOU have to record within Verifyle (in a thread, perhaps) your verification details. But, it does look handy to have emails and documents and everything for a client all in one place. What happens if you stop using Verifyle? Is everything stored on your computer for future use and recordkeeping purposes?

At least one professional organization has been providing Verifyle free for at least a year. Have any of you been using it that long, free or paid? Do you still like it?

We use a portal that comes with our web site (CPA Site Solutions) and it is very easy to use.  We can send anything too and fro, and we can set who can see what clients.  (The clients only see their own folder, and the "public" folder, where we put a copy of this year's document checklist.)  It has two-factor authentication that you can set up, too.  Bank-level encryption.

Good questions, Lion.  How does anyone verify anything online?  I guess somehow one has to create some special questions.  Hmmm, maybe I will just stick with what I have been doing.

I think the Verifyle user can download anything to keep in one's own files.  What was a bit unsettling to me in the terms and conditions was that Verifyle can (does?) keep a copy of everything that is put up there.  But what does CCH do?  Are all those records kept or destroyed?  Is anything ever really safe? Arrrggghhh!

I use the CCH iPortal.  It's my understanding that it meets the "secure" standard.  Seems basic for the most part and allows me to place copies of the clients returns along with the 8879's in their personal folder on the portal.  The client can then access their folder, review their information, print and sign the 8879's and place them back in the folder where I can access them.  Based on this information in this post, I'll need to look into CCH's eSign.  I assume it would link with the iPortal in some way?  Will need to look into it further.  

It's been awhile. The license is free. Let me see if I can find an invoice with the pay-per-client fee and get back to you. It used to be inexpensive, such as $3 for verified signatures and $1 without. (Although, CCH charges me more for everything because I'm using ProSystem fx. I've been tempted to buy the cheapest ATX each year, not to use, but to get the lower prices on all the extras, such as web site, portal, etc.!)

Just pulled out my November invoice. For a late filer, I paid $5 for Esign, with tax $5.05

Edited by Lion EA
Found price!
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Reviving this topic.

If I am creating a .pdf of the taxpayer's 8879s out of ATX, and they want to e-sign them, can they do that?   Do I have to have a special software when creating the .pdf or does my client have to have a special software on their computer that allows them to modify the form by signing it.

I am so ignorant about technology, so please be gentle with me.  

I got the portal this year so we don't email docs to the client any more.   And it was working great.   Then I did a return and the client wanted to upload their docs from their phone and it did not work well.   Then a client wanted to sign the 8879 electronically.   I feel like this industry is passing me by and my knowledge of taxes is unimportant, because if I don't have the latest and greatest wiz-bang technology, I am looked at as a dinosaur.

If I am going to survive, I think I need to know more about these things but with a full time job and a part time tax practice, just keeping up on the tax laws and the tax software is all I can handle.   Maybe it is time to hang it up.

Tom
Modesto, CA

21 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Reviving this topic.

If I am creating a .pdf of the taxpayer's 8879s out of ATX, and they want to e-sign them, can they do that?   Do I have to have a special software when creating the .pdf or does my client have to have a special software on their computer that allows them to modify the form by signing it.

I am so ignorant about technology, so please be gentle with me.  

I got the portal this year so we don't email docs to the client any more.   And it was working great.   Then I did a return and the client wanted to upload their docs from their phone and it did not work well.   Then a client wanted to sign the 8879 electronically.   I feel like this industry is passing me by and my knowledge of taxes is unimportant, because if I don't have the latest and greatest wiz-bang technology, I am looked at as a dinosaur.

If I am going to survive, I think I need to know more about these things but with a full time job and a part time tax practice, just keeping up on the tax laws and the tax software is all I can handle.   Maybe it is time to hang it up.

Tom
Modesto, CA

I am also using CCH Portal for the past two years and it has been well received by my clients.  I believe you need an add-on program from CCH that will allow you to offer e-sign capabilities.  Maybe it's this:

https://taxna.wolterskluwer.com/firm-management-and-workflow/esign

Haven't pursued it yet.  I may next year.