ATX Community

1096 dumb question

schirallicpa

49 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

So my assistant of many many years left me last summer and she did the 1099s.  

So here I am scrambling to do 1099s.  

When I create the 1099 efile, I only get the 1099.  How does the 1096 get filed?  

(forgive me for my lack of experience in this area............)

Are you using ATX?

We might be boring, but we never stop learning 😂  If you are using ATX payroll package, you will need to print out the form 1096, along with the 1099s and Copy A at minimal to give to your client.  Also when ready to print, make sure on the pull-down menu to select 1099MISC to be able to print everything at once.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ILLMAS said:

We might be boring, but we never stop learning 😂  If you are using ATX payroll package, you will need to print out the form 1096, along with the 1099s and Copy A at minimal to give to your client.  Also when ready to print, make sure on the pull-down menu to select 1099MISC to be able to print everything at once.

WRONG!  If you e-file the 1099 forms, there is no need to produce a 1096.

Efilie of 1099 is exactly the same process as e-filing a tax return.  However, it is not Jan. 27 yet.

I am curious why everyone is in a break-neck hurry to file 1099s.  I wait until 1 week before the due date, and file them all.  This allows time for those last minute changes, that invariably come through.

Ok - thank you guys!  I actually called my former assistant and she said the 1096 was only for paper filing - she thought.  But I was not finding anything specific.  I appreciate everyone's help. 

And as far as doing 1099s early - Well, I'm just getting started.  So I have a lot of client badgering to do yet.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, ILLMAS said:

Just out of curiosity, why do IRS agents a request a copy of the forms 1099s, 1096, W-2s & W-3 even though they were efiled under an audit?

If I am not mistaken, the IRS agent is assigned to audit our efiling of 1120 form. So he only gets what we efiled on that efile file.  Agents cannot go and pull any other information without going through the channels. PLUS they want to know if taxpayers are running your business as a business... and as such, taxpayers should have all documentation handy.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

I am curious why everyone is in a break-neck hurry to file 1099s. 

Jack, the answer to this (as in practically everything else) is money.

With the big chain tax stores offering advances on tax returns, many taxpayers have nothing to show for their occupational work except 1099s.  No W-2s.  Many folks are putting pressure on payers to get their hands on a 1099 as soon as they can.

You and I both know the 1099 is not to replace receipts to be tracked by legitimate businesses, but you can imagine how easy it is to let the payers do the bookkeeping and not claim any more revenue than what has been turned into the govt.

I want to get 1099s out of the way before I have a backlog of partnership and s-corp returns to start. I already have two partnerships, one s-corp, and probably a second on my desk or waiting for me to download from FileShare. And, personal returns, but most are waiting for broker statements or K-1s, from me and from other preparers.

I finished one small client's 1099s for them to sign and mail. I'm going to another client's site today and hope they still have few enough to get away with mailing -- and that he remembered to buy the forms at Staples! Otherwise, I'll be back there next Wednesday, too.

I was filing my own reports and W-2s via QB electronically. All the reports seem to be accepted, but two or so federal payments were rejected. (So far, CT accepted all.) I changed my EFTPS password per IRS's and QB's instructions last September and filed 3Q reports and payments just fine in October. They say I'm not registered for EFTPS and made me go through the registration again; so now I'm waiting for a new code/temp password/whatever to show up in the mail in another week so I can change info and try again. (It would've been here this week without the MLK holiday.) I'm glad I started about the 12th.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lion EA said:

I want to get 1099s out of the way before I have a backlog... I'm glad I started about the 12th.

This is so me.  I remember last year hearing someone say that IRS would take a year to recover from a three week shut down.  While I think that was "speaking evangelistically," as a pastor of mine used to say, it's pretty accurate for me in January. 

OK, it's BS for me, too, but if I get behind, my life is way worse than it needs to be.

• Like 7

I just tried the QuickBooks plugin for tax1099.com and worked really well. I had email addresses for all the recipients so I just had the site email the 1099s (SSN was masked). I downloaded the PDF of the recipients copy and I was done. I've resisted this in the past because of the cost, but it saves me labor and buying forms. And if I can email some of them, it saves envelopes, postage and more labor.

• Like 2

I tried it yesterday at a biz client's site. It lead me around in circles, returning me to a previous page. I created the Excel files as they directed and uploaded them successfully, but they would NOT use them. I finally typed everything in manually! They emailed Forms 1099-MISC, or at least I received mine. It does NOT appear that they mailed the one requiring snail mail. And, they did NOT file with CT as they said they would. I could NOT get "chat" to function all day long and did NOT get return emails until late this morning when I am no longer at that client's biz. (Their emails just asked me the questions I had already emailed them, so I replied with the questions in their order/format and still have NOT received answers.) The federal efiles will NOT be done until 29 January, so start soon if you want to be on time. They do NOT show their schedules until after you have paid. I couldn't find how to print client copies. I managed to print each individual 1099, but from QB and NOT from tax1099. All in all, a very time-consuming and frustrating experience that is NOT complete.