ATX Community

Cleaning house

ILLMAS

Not often enough!

I need to fire a couple of difficult clients; I've been raising their fees, but I'm not happier. I also have a couple needy clients, but they are very appreciative of my help; I should raise their fees, but they are nice, retired ladies on fixed incomes, so I don't.

No pay = no more work from me. That I have been doing.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I just fired a payroll/tax client, a carpet installer who I had to remind one too many times that he had forgotten to pay me.

Nice guy, but now that I am easing into semi - retirement I just don't need the aggravation.

My answer to that problem is simple:

Return is not given to the client OR transmitted, until I have been paid.

I think I fired my last PITAs in 2019. I'm happy with the ones I have now. 

But to answer your question, I give them at least 2 or 3 seasons to redeem themselves before I cut them off. If it's for non-payment or failing to wrap things up, I do that pretty quick. If someone doesn't pay me, I stop working for them and count it as a loss... and remember it. 

Edited by Possi
To answer your question
  • Like 4

On 1/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

My answer to that problem is simple:

Return is not given to the client OR transmitted, until I have been paid.

Easier said than done, sometimes.  It's April 14th; client comes in to sign forms.  Goes to take out wallet for credit card... left it at home.  Promises a check. Gets distracted and forgets.  Client lives (or is traveling for work) and e-signatures are needed; get those but not payment.  This client also forgets, once home.  

Just to say that it's a good rule of thumb, but circumstances crop up.  No reason to be suspicious when they are good clients who have always paid.  Most of them just plain-old forget and are horribly embarrassed once reminded they owe.  But yeah, in most circumstances, payment up-front.  I've only lost one client because of my insistence on being paid for that year *and* the prior year before releasing new returns.  I wasn't sorry to see her go, either.

• Like 3