ATX Community

Drivers License Needed for 1040?

ETax847

On 1/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, ETax847 said:

If the taxpayer's driver's license info required this year for federal filings?

Yes, but is the taxpayer's driver's license info required this year for federal filing?

I don't think it is a requirement in order to file the federal return. 

Correct?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Possi said:

I don't think it is a requirement in order to file the federal return. 

Correct?

Correct, and it will stay that way at least until the IRS figures out how to handle those US citizens who live and work outside the States.  For example, my clients in the Czech Republic.  They don't have, and can't have, US state drivers' licenses.  Passports?  Yup - but that's not a choice/option.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chamberlain said:

It should roll over...just invites errors having to enter it each year, and seems silly to require ID every year.

I get new ID when the old one expires.  We should only have to reenter if expired.

IRS does not allow that information to roll over.  Entering it every year, is SOOOO difficult, and is a method of verifying identity.

The data rolls over in UltraTax (at least it did in the past, haven't checked the 2019 version yet).  There is a diagnostic if the license has expired.  Speaking of which, some states have six and seven years between renewals.  I assume aging is not allowed during that time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

IRS does not allow that information to roll over.  Entering it every year, is SOOOO difficult, and is a method of verifying identity.

IRS rules do not prevent the rollover.

Other software including my provider's has rolled it forward in prior years, and mine is still doing so for the 2019 tax year.  Mine also flags the fields to alert the preparer to check the information, and the flags must be cleared by the preparer before the e-file is created.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lloyd Hudson said:

Cuts down on DMV work

I hope these use the extra time dealing with people whose driving is suspect; re-testing and re-training.  Here in MA, I *wish* they'd do something similar (maybe a new picture every ten years; that might make sense).  We have far too many people out on the roads who are a danger to everyone around them.  There's a reason for the term "Massholes" out there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My passengers always take on the comments about idiot drivers.  While I see them, I usually am not affected by them.  After roughly a million miles on motorcycles, I still drive like I am invisible to others, even when in our motorhome towing our Jeep.  I was young, dumb, and invincible back in my MC days, and was almost always the rabbit (the fastest moving vehicle).

Back to the OP, I just filed my personal, and tried not including DL info.  I got a warning (from the software) that my state return (CA) may be delayed without DL info.  No warning for the fed return.