ATX Community

1040-SR?

Edsel

Excellent question. Here is a blurb from the instructions of the 1040S.

Introduction

For information about any additional changes to the 2019 tax law or any other developments affecting Form 1040 or 1040-SR or the instructions, go to IRS.gov/Form1040.

Form 1040-SR.

Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors, has been introduced for 2019. You can use this form if you were born before January 2, 1955. The form generally mirrors Form 1040.

Well if it mirrors the 1040, then why use it??? I'm going to do the same thing I have been doing for over 20 years. Use the 1040 form for all and adjust prices accordingly. Just keeps it simple that way.

22 hours ago, Edsel said:

What is the purpose for the IRS creation of new form 1040-SR?  And does it calculate any differently from a conventional 1040?

Some have speculated that it was in part to have a form with the standard deduction chart for those over 65 on the form itself instead of being directed to "see instructions," possibly to cut down on errors by those filling out paper returns. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this discussion.  My software (Drake), displayed the 1040-SR for the first client it applied to.  I just didn't see any reason for using it, so I flipped the global switch to ignore the 1040-SR when applicable.  Still don't know why anyone would use it unless perhaps they are filling it out by hand.