ATX Community

Un-incorporate?

Possi

I have a new client whose prior tax pro incorporated the spouse as an S Corp. There really was no reason for this but to bump up his fee, as far as I can tell. About $10k of income, no payroll. No quarterly payroll reports, no quarterly payments. 

My question is this, are we able to UN-incorporate her for 2019? 

I don't do 1120S returns, but my own. If I can't un-do this simply, I'll do the 1120S. I just don't WANT to. 

17 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

You're talking about a corporate dissolution, which may not be too bad if the only asset is cash.

Thanks for that. I found this information. Still not sure if I can help dissolve it for 2019, so I'll probably do the 1120S.

https://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/research-topics/running-your-business/how-to-end-your-business-business-dissolution3

Did she ever treat her business as an S-corporation? Get paid in that name? Open a corporate checking account? Use the corporate EIN? You said she didn't put herself on payroll. If she didn't act like a corporation, can she continue as a sole proprietor for 2019 and you file a zero 2019 final 1120S? I'm not sure, just throwing it out there. Still need to dissolve with her state. What do you say, Abby?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Did she ever treat her business as an S-corporation? Get paid in that name? Open a corporate checking account? Use the corporate EIN? You said she didn't put herself on payroll. If she didn't act like a corporation, can she continue as a sole proprietor for 2019 and you file a zero 2019 final 1120S? I'm not sure, just throwing it out there. Still need to dissolve with her state. What do you say, Abby?

She is going to bring last 2 years today or tomorrow for me to see. I'll let you know more then. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lion EA said:

What do you say, Abby?

It's not clear whether 2019 is the first year as an S corp or if S corp returns have been filed for several years. But you're right that if she didn't get use the ein to open a bank account and hold herself out to be a corporation, then assets were never transferred into the s corp and she can file as a sole proprietor.

If an EIN was obtained and a 2553 filed, you should file a first and final 1120S with all zeroes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

It's not clear whether 2019 is the first year as an S corp or if S corp returns have been filed for several years. But you're right that if she didn't get use the ein to open a bank account and hold herself out to be a corporation, then assets were never transferred into the s corp and she can file as a sole proprietor.

If an EIN was obtained and a 2553 filed, you should file a first and final 1120S with all zeroes.

I'll let you know, but it is my understanding that 2019 was not the first year as an S corp. Thanks for all the input on this ... so far... ghost tax return. I'll update as soon as I can. It should be pretty simple to file a final 1120S. I'll let y'all know. 

Thanks again!