ATX Community

If you don't want your client's email address going to the IRS...

Abby Normal

...this is where ATX not automatically saving and ability to close without saving come in super handy.

1. Delete client's email address and press Enter. (Important to press Enter)
  2. Create efile and print return.
  3. Close without saving!!!

The email address will be there when you reopen the return, but it will not be in the efile or on the printed forms.

Sure, this will be a hassle when recreating an efile, but at least it's on the first page of the 1040 form, Main Info.

Bonus tip: The fastest way to get to the main form of any return: Ctrl+O, Enter. And the fastest way to get to the first page of any form, Alt+P, Enter.

• Thanks 1

I don't put phone numbers and emails on returns unless I am forced to. 

My state of Oregon is rapidly moving toward requiring phone numbers and emails on almost all returns.

However, unless a client is totally off the grid, their phone number and email is on thousands of servers and more likely than not due to all of the data breaches

is also available on the dark web available for sale.

Some of my customers literally do no have a computer, and therefore have no email address.  Some don't have cell phones either.  I don't think that I have any that don't at least have a home telephone, but it is possible to survive without a screen.  Obviously, if they don't have email i can't put it on there and I don't see how they can require people to have an email address. 

• Like 1

I think the only time a phone number is required by IRS is when a taxpayer is having a balance due debited from a bank account.  CT has had a space for phone numbers for years, and more recently they added a spot for email.  I never filled out either.  A few years ago at a state liaison meeting someone asked the DRS speaker why CT was asking for this info while the IRS was advertising all over the place that they will not call or email.  He did not have an answer.

I notice that taxpayers in lots of states can now request an IP PIN.  Is anyone advising their clients to apply?