ATX Community

Completed Return - Client Copy

Yardley CPA

Can someone provide me with exactly what is required once a preparer completes the tax return?  For the longest time, I have given my clients a paper copy of return and form 8879, with my wet signature on both.  I also normally provide them with a signed pdf of the return on a usb flash drive (or uploaded to the portal).  Is the paper copy still required or does the signed pdf/upload  suffice?  

I've never once signed (with a pen) a client's copy of the return and I don't think I've ever seen a copy delivered from a client with an actual signature. My name is printed on the line with my preparer information. I think you are required to provide to them a completed copy of the work. The format is up to you.

(wait, I do sign if we are mailing in the return)

• Like 1

I only sign the copy sent to the IRS or the state. I never sign my client's copy.

I only give them:

schedules
forms that were attached but not 8879. I keep 8879 with their signature along with two portions of the W-2 and I make sure I keep the "file with Federal Taxes" portion.

In the case of an electronically filed return, a complete copy of a taxpayer's return or claim for refund consists of the electronic portion of the return or claim for refund, including all schedules, forms, pdf attachments, and jurats, that was filed with the IRS. The copy provided to the taxpayer must include all information submitted to the IRS to enable the taxpayer to determine what schedules, forms, electronic files, and other supporting materials have been filed with the return.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6107-1

ju·rat

a statement on an affidavit of when, where, and before whom it was sworn.

Also:

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2018/jan/form-8879.html

• Like 3

I allow the software to generate printed signatures where possible and sign everywhere else a signature is required.  This is mostly on my state's returns and e-file authorizations and any local returns that can't be e-filed.

Edited by jklcpa
clarified
  • Like 1

I have my name printed by my software as a safety net, in case I forget. I sign the appropriate places on the client's copy and, of course, for anything paper filed. I give the client a complete copy. A few of my clients accept a .pdf electronically, but most still want a paper copy.

11 hours ago, Randall said:

After the efile is created, you can see a list of the forms to be filed with the IRS and state on the Efile Info form and one of the tabs.

Not if you use Drake!  That is the one HUGE thing I miss about ATX.  Found an (old) discussion about this on Drake's forum last year, and the consensus was "Drake never has and probably never will".  A lot of posters didn't even understand the question.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim Oh Bkkr said:

Not if you use Drake!  That is the one HUGE thing I miss about ATX.  Found an (old) discussion about this on Drake's forum last year, and the consensus was "Drake never has and probably never will".  A lot of posters didn't even understand the question.

That was a feature I liked with ATX too, and I used to print the lists for the Fed & State. With Drake there is the assumption that the required forms and statements are being sent, but it would be nice to see the actual items transmitted.

I also still greatly miss the ATX planner that was on one page with the ability to increase items by %.

• Like 1