ATX Community

QBI, my error or ATX error?

JackieCPA

I have a tax return that it won't let me create an e-file for, it says 

"If no businesses are "Qualified for QBI purposes,  please discard Form 8995".

There is a business that is qualified, I have it checked on the Schedule C data and it shows up as checked in the activities section on the 8995 and is producing the QBI deduction correctly. 

Any ideas on what I am forgetting to check to have it let me efile?

8 hours ago, JackieB said:

have a tax return that it won't let me create an e-file for, it says 

"If no businesses are "Qualified for QBI purposes,  please discard Form 8995".

There is a business that is qualified, I have it checked on the Schedule C data and it shows up as checked in the activities section on the 8995 and is producing the QBI deduction correctly. 

Any ideas on what I am forgetting to check to have it let me efile?

We are having the same issue, I'm hoping its an ATX issue because we can't find a way around it.

Edited by jklcpa
moved response out of quote box

Is it just with the Sch E, or is it when both a Sch C and a Sch E are in the return?   I got that error when I was checking a return with only a Sch E, and of course I deleted the 8995 because there was no QBI for that return.   But one of my best clients who is coming in soon has a both a C and E on his return.    Would appreciate if you would expand on exactly what is causing the problem.

Thanks

Tom
Modesto, CA

There really is no explanation on what is causing the problem yet. But, from what I can tell, if you have a Schedule C or F and a Schedule E in the same return it errors. Because if the Schedule E isn't checked as "qualified" for QBI purposes, I think the software is getting confused and wanting the 8995 to be deleted. The Form is still filling out and calculating the deduction correctly, just won't let you create an e-file. ATX told me that they are working on the problem, checked again this morning and it is still an error. Hope they figure things out soon. 

If they don't, I suppose we would all have to just click the Schedule E as qualified and then override the deduction and 8995 to being correct? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1