ATX Community

Marketplace

Tracy Lee

11 minutes ago, Tracy Lee said:

I need to enter two 1095-A statements for a married couple but can't seem to find a way to enter the second one.  I'm only able to enter data on form 8962 for the filer.  What am I missing to be able to add the wife's statement?

(Column A - add amounts from all forms 1095-A and enter the total; Column B - all 1095-A forms should show the same amount for the SLCSP premium so enter the amount from column B of only one Form 1095-A; Column F - Add the amounts from all 1095-A forms together and enter in column F)

FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FORM 8962:

"Column (a). Enter the annual enrollment premiums from Form 1095-A, line 33, column A. If you have more than one Form 1095-A, add the amounts together and enter the total on Form 8962, line 11, column (a). This amount is the total of your enrollment premiums for the year, including the portion paid by APTC. If you or a member of your tax family was enrolled in a stand-alone dental plan that provided pediatric benefits, the portion of the dental plan premiums for the pediatric benefits will be included in the amount in column A on the Form 1095-A that reports the coverage in your primary health plan. If your plan covered benefits that are not essential health benefits, such as adult dental or vision benefits, the amount in this column will be reduced by the premiums for the non-essential benefits.

Column (b). Enter the annual applicable SLCSP premium from Form 1095-A, line 33, column B. If you have more than one Form 1095-A, enter the amount as follows. • If individuals in your coverage family enrolled in more than one policy in the same state, you will receive a Form 1095-A for each policy. The Marketplace should have entered the same SLCSP premium, which applies to all members of your coverage family, on each Form 1095-A. Enter the amount from column B of only one Form 1095-A—do not add the amounts from each form. However, if you got married in December of 2019 and you and your spouse, or individuals in your and your spouse's tax family, were enrolled in separate qualified health plans, add the amounts from Form 1095-A, column B, for each plan (or plans) and enter the total. If you got married in a month other than December, your applicable SLCSP premium may not be the same for every month. If it is not the same for every month, you cannot use line 11. • For individuals enrolled in qualified health plans in different states, add together the amounts from column B of the Forms 1095-A from each state and enter the total on Form 8962, line 11, column (b).

Column (f). Enter the APTC amount from Form 1095-A, line 33, column C. If you have more than one Form 1095-A, add the amounts together and enter the total on Form 8962, line 11, column (f)."

• Like 1

So if I understand this correctly, even though the married couple each have their own plan and their own statement; because the statements are identical and Part 1 shows both the spouses name on both statements, I need only to add the amounts from one of the 1095s because this is the credit for both of them?

No - you add the amounts from BOTH 1095A forms to arrive at the figures to put in columns A & F of Form 8962.  Both 1095 A forms should have the same amount in Column B so you use that amount (don't add the two forms) for column B of 8962.  Be sure you actually have two different 1095A forms and not 2 copies of the same form.

6 minutes ago, Tracy Lee said:

So if I understand this correctly, even though the married couple each have their own plan and their own statement; because the statements are identical and Part 1 shows both the spouses name on both statements, I need only to add the amounts from one of the 1095s because this is the credit for both of them?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, gfizer said:

Both 1095 A forms should have the same amount in Column B so you use that amount (don't add the two forms) for column B of 8962.

That does not sound right, at least in the case of my client couple. The amounts reported on their individual 1095 A's are the same.  Column B appears to be the SLCSP for each individual, not for the couple combined.

In fact, to input according to the instructions, column B is less than Column A (as combined).  Therefore they are liable for a repayment instead of a credit since B is about 1/2 of A.  The difference is about $4,000 to the client.

In looking at 1095-A's for other clients,  B is higher than A for them when a single 1095 A is issued to a couple.

I checked to see what the SLCSP should be according to https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/#/premium-tax-credit.

The amount I came up with for the couple is slightly higher than 2x the amount reported on the 1095 A for each spouse.   

So in this case, it appears either the "destructions" are wrong, or the amount reported in column B of the 1095 A the for each spouse is wrong.