ATX Community

Days for E-Refund

Edsel

For years, it seemed the IRS would launch refunds, and my clients would always receive the funds in their bank on Fridays.  Always Friday.

One of them thanked me yesterday and told me their refund appeared Wednesday.  They needed it badly and checked "Where's My Refund" every day.

Is this the "new" normal?  Can refunds appear any day of the week now?

I'm sure we as preparers don't keep up with when all our customers receive their money, but I'm thinking some of us might know.  And I can't advise them to look just for Fridays anymore (not that I ever committed to it).

The IRS used to issue refunds on Thursdays, so our clients with direct deposit would see them in their banks on Fridays. Then, the IRS started issuing refunds every day (every weekday?), but stopped publishing their schedule! I just use the IRS line about 90% within 21 days on their filing instructions, as well as the Where's My Refund link, so clients can track it themselves. I also hand out IRS Pub. 2043 to clients who ask me more questions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p2043en.pdf

According to an article I read this morning, last year there were more than 1 Million refunds with EITC & ACTC that were subjected to "enhanced electronic scrutiny"

which delayed the refunds until mid March. A similar number of delayed refunds are expected this year.

I just love the phrase"enhanced electronic scrutiny."🙂

• Like 1