ATX Community

Printers won't print from ATX program

neilbrink

ATX tech took over my computer to fix my problem of my printers(2) not printing for ATX only, even though everything else on my computer is printing just fine. His final conclusion was that my printers did not have the correct "code" to print the "sensitive" information that was coming from my ATX program. We have had these printers for 3 or 4 years, and have never had this problem with ATX until now.  Has anyone else heard of this, or had this same problem? Thanks.

I went through the same thing when I went from Windows XP to Windows 7 using an HP printer, everything printed good, except ATX.  HP support said the printer was not the problem, but the software, I ended getting a new HP printer that work great for many years until I destroyed it.  In the 12 years I've been in business on my own, I have managed to destroy 5 printers.

3 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

In the 12 years I've been in business on my own, I have managed to destroy 5 printers

Wow, you must be really hard on your printers. I've never destroyed one in 30 years in business. I usually replace them when they need a drum, and the drum costs more than a new printer. And, yes, I've tried low cost drums with poor results.

3 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

Not that you would need to or want to in every instance, but try printing to pdf first and then to the printer.  Does that work?

I always print EVERTTHING to PDF first and then send to the printer. I often find things missing or pages I didn't want to print, plus it gives me a copy of everything that leaves my office, that I can refer to or email/fax as needed.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, neilbrink said:

ATX tech took over my computer to fix my problem of my printers(2) not printing for ATX only, even though everything else on my computer is printing just fine. His final conclusion was that my printers did not have the correct "code" to print the "sensitive" information that was coming from my ATX program. We have had these printers for 3 or 4 years, and have never had this problem with ATX until now.  Has anyone else heard of this, or had this same problem? Thanks.

When your printers were installed, was any software installed with them? If so, uninstall it.

The instructions for printers always tell you to not connect the printer until you've installed the crappy software that comes with them, but you're much, much better off to just connect the printer and let windows install just the driver it needs.

Do you know if your printers are using a standard windows driver or one provided by the printer manufacturer?

I would search through the Windows registry and remove all printer references, then reinstall the printer(s).  You will likely find many printer "artifacts" in the registry, which can sometimes cause issues. 

Here is an example of one section off my computer.  Only the highlighted ones are actually "installed" and used.  Some are misspelled "copies", and some are the defaults which come with WIndows, and were not "cealred" even though I uninstalled those items.

image.png.010c4dcc8e21b4d99ab1d02e89840acc.png

There are other areas of the registry to search.  For instance, if you have has HP printer installed, search for HP and Hewlett.  Canon, Brother, Epson, whatever brand name you wish to search for.  When you find something with the search name, look for any other entries which relate to printers, and note them for a separate search.

While it is not suggested to randomly delete things from the registry, deleting printer references is relatively safe, since you can reinstall and setup the desired printer(s) later.

The advice about using only drivers which download from Microsoft is a good.  Printer manufacturer's farm out coding of their drivers and other software (in most cases).  Using something which has at least been moderatly tested by MS is much safer.  You may not get the absolute latest feature our of the printer, but you probably are not looking for such features anyway. If you have to use the manufacturer's drivers, start with the latest one on their web site, and work backwards if needed.  Do not bother with any driver included in the box, as it is months old already...

As I mentioned, I have had no problems with the printers working for ATX in all the previous years I have had them.  It's been just this year. Printers are Brother HL-3140CW color, and Brother MFC7440N.  I am very sure that if there was a problem with the printers, they would not work for anything that I print. That is not the case. Printers work fine for everything else.

• 2 years later...

Have had the same issue. On April 12 all of a sudden the software would not talk to the printer and I had to switch to another computer and printer. The printer connected to the other computer was a Brothers HL-L6200DW. After my tech spending two and a half hours trying to figure out the problem on the first machine  the program managed to work with the same printer connected to another computer. Purchased a totally new computer and transferred back the program and the tax files and everything worked fine till last week when once again the program would not print with my printer. I even purchased another  Brothers printer a different model with the same results the program would not print. Every other program prints word excel and aol printing as well. So once again I called tech and they decided it was my Brothers printer that was the problem but it worked fine and then didn't. Once again my Tech person said your printer is fine so not sure what the answer is . 

I have used the same HP printer for years.  Started acting up this year (streaking from the printer, not ATX).  I had an extra identical printer in storage that I had purchased when I got a deal.  Installed it and have had no issues since.  Only issue I have had since is in choosing original HP or HP copy as default printer.  I wish I could help and sincerely hope that I don't have to eat my words when I get home from vacation.  I have never had an issue with an HP.

5 hours ago, mcb39 said:

Only issue I have had since is in choosing original HP or HP copy

Go to control panel, devices and printers and delete the duplicate printer.

Not even sure why it was added. Windows should have just used the original printer and not even notice the change, since it was identical.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Go to control panel, devices and printers and delete the duplicate printer.

Not even sure why it was added. Windows should have just used the original printer and not even notice the change, since it was identical.

One is listed as Copy 1.  My techie advised me not to  delete.  However, I think you are correct, for the sake of sanity.

It is not unusual to have one physical printer, and many "printers" to select from in Windows.  For instance, one preset for normal printing, one preset for draft, one preset for double sided, etc.

The biggest issue with printing in Windows are "remnants" in the Windows Registry (see above).  Windows can and will "substitute" whatever selections and settings it thinks match what you are "asking", even if not exactly what you intended.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mcb39 said:

My techie advised me not to  delete

You can delete all of your physical printers (not your PDF and other nonphysical printers) and windows will just re-add the one that is attached. I'd disconnect the printer cable, then when you reconnect, windows will detect and install.

• Like 4