ATX Community

PA Guidance

Jim Oh Bkkr

Client moved to Pittsburgh area.  Husband and wife both received a stack of W-2s, Federal info for each is the same on all. 

But the PA portions:

Husband - 1 W-2 lists PA wages 4,000.  1 W-2 lists local wages 6,000, with 30 w/h.  1 W-2 lists local wages 10,000, with 50 w/h. Both locals list the same PSD (work location), and I have confirmed the local rate is 0.5%. (Railroad employee, if that is relevant.)

Wife - 1 W-2 lists PA wages 35,000.  1 W-2 lists local wages 60,000, with 600 w/h.  1 W-2 lists local wages 63,000, with 630 w/h. Both locals list the same PSD (home location), and I have confirmed the local rate is 1.0%.

I realize PA wages are calculated differently (the only affected item I see is wife has 120 GTL in Box 12), but I don't understand the huge difference between state and local wage amounts.  Nor the double locals, unless 1 is municipal and 1 is school district?

Does this look right (within reason), or am I missing something?

I prepare  a significant number of PA returns.  The husband's w2 is more in line with what I see.  His local is a bit high, but I have seen similar.  I have never seen a W2 with as significant a difference as the wife's.  There may be an explanation for it...but I have never seen that big of a difference and I would suggest she check with her payroll department to obtain some type of explanation.   

34 minutes ago, Jim Oh Bkkr said:

Thanks Yardley!  She started a new job that requires work split between the Pittsburgh area and northeast Ohio.  And is my assumption that husband is responsible for 0.5% local at the home location?

It sounds like that is the case, yea.  She will also be subject to the local depending on the amount of time spent there.  

Every time I think about griping about the 4 (at present) school bonds collected via property tax in my county (the money has to come from somewhere, and our 'Prop 13' severely restricts property tax increases, so we get endless bond measures to vote on), I think about OH and PA.  IIRC, PA finally came up with a unified collection and reporting method a few years back.