ATX Community

dependent claimed himself

DANRVAN

Have not dealt with this for awhile.  Parent's return rejected because son already filed and claimed himself even though it did not benefit him.

Parent was hoping to get refund right away.

I see the following options:

-Amend for son, wait for x number of months for it to process and then e-file for parent.

-Paper file for parent with explanation and attach copy of 1040x of son.

-E-file without son, receive reduced refund (still have 2 other dependents), then amend for both parent and son.  Realize that does not involve a complete and accurate return.

I have used the first method in the past but there was no hurry for a refund.  

Has anybody here used the paper filing method, and if so how long did the process take?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

personally I would amend son return now and paper file parent now with claiming the son.  I have done that in the past with no problem.  Amended returns turns take so much time to process.  I would not file without son then amend with son.  I won't file a return I know is wrong.

• Like 4

I have had this situation several times.  I simply paper file the parent's return claiming the dependent and at the same time mail in the amended return for the child.  The parents receive their income in the same time frame as any paper filed return.  This very thing is the reason that I prepare a child's return for free when I do the parent's return.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DANRVAN said:

Do remember how long the process took?

Thank you for your reply.

The parent received their refund in the same time frame as a normal paper filed return.  The child's return I don't know because they didn't get a refund or pay anything different on the amended return and they received the refund from the e-filed return also in normal time.

• Like 1