ATX Community

CA Preparers - Charitable Carryover for CA?

BulldogTom

CA does not conform to 60% Federal Limit.   Nor does it tax SS benefits.   CA does not have a Sch A, it uses the federal and adjusts the deductions on form CA.

Client charitable contributions for Fed are just under 60%.   Part of the income is taxable SS.   On the CA return, CA form, the deduction is reduced by nearly 9K.  Part of it is because of the 60%/50% non-conformity.   I think the rest is that CA is using their own AGI to figure the limitation.   I know how it works on the federal, but I have never had this  situation before where the charitable deduction was allowed in full for Fed and limited by CA.

Is the amount of the reduction available for carryforward on future CA returns?   I don't see anything on any form showing a carryforward, only the reduction of the deduction.  

Thanks

Tom
Modesto, CA

I finished a carryover a few years ago, but the only thing on the FTB site was dated Tax News article from 2015.

"When contributions are greater than the applicable 50 percent, 30 percent, or 20 percent of federal AGI limitations for a given year, the excess contributions are carried over and may be deducted for five years. The ordering rule is to first deduct current year's contributions, and then look to prior years' contributions carried forward, by each separate limitation amount. It is always important to know the correct limitation category (50 percent, 30 percent, or 20 percent of federal AGI) for contributions; both for the current year's contributions return and for prior years' carryovers. This is especially true if you are preparing a new client's return for the first time and they have contributions carried over from prior years." 

Yes, that is what I saw as well.   On the federal side the carryover is indicated on the Schedule A and I can show it to the client.   With the Federal amount fully utilized, and no CA schedule A, where do I show the carryforward amount to the client on their CA return?

I don't think this particular client will ever be able to use it up, because they are older and very charitable.   When the new law was passed to go to 60% Fed, they jumped their giving right up, so I assume they will exceed the CA limitations every year and just keep building this carryforward.

Tom
Modesto, CA