ATX Community

April 15 Deadline - Any Clarification?

Yardley CPA

I'm holding a few returns that have a balance due on them before moving forward and efiling.  Wondering if there has been any definitive guidance on the potential change in the April 15 deadline.  I thought I read, if it does happen it would also push back the due date to pay any balance due.  

Let's start a pool on when the notification comes out. 

I say 8:00 pm on April 14. 

=======================

Trying to determine whether the notification will say "Yes, we are extending the due date" or "No extension" will be a separate pool.

• Like 1

Just now from AICPA:

Yesterday, we told you about our efforts and conversations with the Treasury Department and the IRS to secure filing and payment relief for taxpayers and tax preparers in light of the uncertainty and challenges caused by the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Based upon our conversations, we anticipate that Treasury and the IRS will announce this week an extension of the April 15th deadline by as much as 90 days, and a waiver of penalties and interest for most taxpayers.

Additionally, Treasury and the IRS are aware of the major deadline for businesses tomorrow, March 16th, and the challenges facing taxpayers and tax preparers in meeting that deadline.  They have indicated that they would be generous in determining reasonable cause abatement of any penalties for taxpayers and tax preparers unable to file in a timely manner.

We will continue to keep you updated as we receive more information.

• Like 3