ATX Community

The, you know......virus

BLACK BART

5 hours ago, FDNY said:

That was excellent Catherine, I read it twice.

Something must have happened about an hour ago.  At close to the same time I got an alert from the NY Daily News that NYC schools would be closed immediately, then a red alert call from the small city I live in that our schools will be closed, and all this while watching governor Baker telling us, no in restaurant dining allowed from March 17th on.  That's going to be a lot of lonely corned beef. 

Our son called tonight to check in and said that they ended up at a Korean supermarket trying to find food in Denver. They have been trying to get some food for a few days. He did say that everyhere that they went there was an abundance of corned beef. 😀 Maybe it's not a big thing out there, but we bought a ton of it and my husband is freezing a bunch to share with my mom and the kids when they finally make it back here. 

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Well, Tom, the problem is that very few have been tested, and that was intentional by those in charge. Partly because they knew how bad it would be for the stock market and hospitality industries, both of which a certain "person" is heavily invested in. The problem with that approach is you can't bulls4!t a virus. You can't bully a virus. You can't payoff a virus to keep quiet. You can't threaten it or ask it to "do you a favor, though". You can't impugn it's character with baseless charges. You can't fool it with talk about God or fluff news pieces.

The last thing we need are factless and baseless opinion statements that do nothing to solve anything and don't add anything to the discussion. When the latest travel ban went into effect, hotel stock took a deep dive and 2nd quarter earnings are expected to fall 50% over last year. The last thing that investors want to see is the stock market plunge as it has.  Investors have large portfolios made up of dozens of stocks. Even if some stocks went up, the vast majority will have gone down, pulling the value of the entire portfolio with it.  

We can discuss why there has been a shortage of test kits without politicizing it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Max W said:

The last thing we need are factless and baseless opinion statements that do nothing to solve anything and don't add anything to the discussion.

Max W, if you or anyone ever feels strongly about a post being political, you are welcome to report it to me and I would consider it for deletion. Unfortunately I wasn't on to see it until others had already responded. 

We definitely need to do what we can to slow the spread of this virus, and we need people to take this virus and the suggested "social distancing" seriously now. Here are some facts about why some people weren't taking it as seriously as they should have earlier on, and just some of why our initial responses to it were too slow:

Instead of allowing an official position by experts to be released earlier than they were, Fauci's appearances on the news channels were cancelled while the talking heads were frothing at the mouth as they blathered on about this while a plan was formulated.  Now about not having a plan in place...

In 2018 National Security Advisor Bolton, in an effort to streamline the National Security Council, disbanded the Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense whose mission is to lead federal coordination and preparation for disease outbreaks, he fired Homeland Security Adviser Bossert who had called for a "comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks," and he also fired head of pandemic response, Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer, and the entire global health security team. That team was never replaced.

We are relatively early in this outbreak, and in addition to distancing, we should have already been testing many more people. All one needs to do is look at how South Korea has been managing this and the fact that it has tested a much larger population earlier on that lead to earlier isolation and earlier supportive patient care, both actions that have resulted in a greatly reduced number and percentage of fatalities compared to any other country.  Because South Korea had learned from the MERS virus, it had an established response plan that it very quickly initiated. It was testing early on as many as 10,000 people a day including through drive through stations that we are only just now setting up.  That country has already tested more than a quarter million people because of having a readiness plan and using the WHO formulation for the tests. 

As for testing here, we could have started earlier if we had used that same formulation from the WHO instead of having additional delays because the CDC wanted to develop its own test that it thought would be more accurate. Not only was there a delay to develop the test, but also because when it was rolled out it was found to be faulty in some way.

I liken this to what it takes for a lot of major plane crashes, that it isn't just one problem but a series of smaller incidents that all compound into a larger "perfect storm" that brings the plane down. I hope we don't crash too badly with this. 😟

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Well, Tom, the problem is that very few have been tested, and that was intentional by those in charge. Partly because they knew how bad it would be for the stock market and hospitality industries, both of which a certain "person" is heavily invested in. The problem with that approach is you can't bulls4!t a virus. You can't bully a virus. You can't payoff a virus to keep quiet. You can't threaten it or ask it to "do you a favor, though". You can't impugn it's character with baseless charges. You can't fool it with talk about God or fluff news pieces.

I was not trying to go down this road, I was more looking at this from my own point of view, which may be very ignorant as an accountant and not a health expert.   I was just looking at what I thought was a panic produced by the media, and I may still be correct about that, or I may be very, very wrong.   My question was more if the media was driving our governments and policy makers to "do something" and they are trying to look like they are "doing something".   Time will tell if the steps taken are proportional to the problem, or if "out of an abundance of caution" we have "over-reacted".   

Personally, I am starting to move my opinion a little bit as I try to understand more about the scope and the outcomes.   The steps taken may be appropriate, and I am not going to throw stones at anyone right now... except the people who are standing in line for 3 hours at Costco to get a pallet of toilet paper...I still don't get that one.   But if they are trying to get hand sanitizer, good for them.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2

One thing I read recently pointed out that if we have not done enough, we will know that with the mortality counts.  If we have done too much, well, we will never know for certain.  With lives at stake, I'm on the side of overkill, oops, too much.  I do agree that the hoarding and price gouging is unconscionable.

• Like 5

And this after reading about 2 Seatle ER docs in serious condition with COVID19 - a physician friend forwarded this to our church, she used to be a member:

From a physician in Seattle: At her hospital, all ventilators are in use and they have reached the point of rationing care. They are now having to choose between venting babies and COVID-19 patients. One of their own 40 year old emergency room physicians is in critical care.

Everyone please stay at home. If you absolutely must go to the grocery store or work, stay 6 feet away.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2020 at 6:30 AM, JohnH said:

`It appears that quarantine measures are pretty much going to cancel any celebrations in  in March and April.  So the best big holiday will be May 5 -> Cinco De Mayo, sponsored by.....Corona.  

AND this year, Cinco De Mayo falls on Taco Tuesday! It's what we've all been training for, according to @RitaB

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Personally... I am finding county health departments seem to offer the most reasonable advice, even through they are stuck with some statewide requirements.  I also have a son who works in a major hospital, one which is one of the first to take patients such as this issue.  So I do benefit from the advice he can share, and that is after he hears from hos mother about keeping safe.  This is our 3rd or 4th time where there has been something new or scary to cause us worry for him.

For us, we are being thoughtful as to our actions.  But, we are going about our normal life for the most part.  Today, we are regular grocery shopping and preparing for a camping trip.  Our friends, who are all over 60, are also camping with us.  However, we will likely practice the social distancing, and will not be meeting in any of our RV's.  Instead, we will be hanging out in covered tents with propane fires, and walking our dogs.  We were frank with each other, and all in agreement we want (need) to go, but we can easily be more careful.  The campground is owned by someone in their local politics, and they are 100% deferring to their health department, which as of this morning, says camping is fine, with precautions.

To be very candid and balanced, my mother had an emergency medical event over the weekend.  She did not survive.  It was not related to the virus at all.  However, while we talked to her pre-op, we all thought it better not to go there to visit before surgery, since we cannot say we were not carrying the virus, or flu, or a cold, etc.  The reality is, the virus was not the deciding factor, just plain common sense for an elderly person facing open chest surgery and recovery, when we have the technology to have voice and video communication.  Had she survived, we would have been there the next morning, in full containment suits, just to be safe for her (even without the virus threat).

The biggest issue our son told us was lack of test kits, and the 48 hour wait for results.  he was shifted to a group who is working on a way to be able to test more people, faster, without having for test kits to be supplied.

For me, things like this virus are not the first or last to come along.  We cannot live in a bubble forever, so we have to figure out how to mitigate reasonably.  Trying to slow the inevitable spread is a good thing, as if we can spread the "bubble" out over several more weeks, we can lessen the pressure on treatment facilities.  But, it cannot be stopped, and the majority of us will be exposed, if we have not been (and already recovered) already.  Looking at my newly rediscovered grandfather's dog tags from WW2, which show he served during WWW1, reupped in the 20's, volunteered for WW2 at 41 years old (and we know he tried to volunteer for Korea in his 50's), reminds me people can go through and get though much worse than my generation can ever imagine.  All of his volunteering after hearing how his grandparents were marched west (Trail of Tears), and him and my grandmother making the Okie trek to CA during the dust bowl.

• Like 2

Thank you.  Perfectly timed, and with our dearest friends.

Gives me time to reflect, and to not think of the nightmare of dealing with two (my grandmother too) intestate passing's with a (now highly valued as commercial property) home involved, that a reclusive relative (with half interest in the property) lives in now.  I guess I am the first generation "grown up" in my family.  I had been working on a folder for my personal items for those I eventually leave behind, and I have promised myself to get my things in one place first.  I promised to not leave a mess for my heirs...

• Like 7

The article JohnH posted in another thread had a chart of countries and when the virus arrived. Taiwan had the same date as the US. I have a friend who teaches elementary school in Taiwan. They closed the schools for a couple weeks and taught online. When they reopened schools, everyone -- students, teachers, staff, visitors, everyone -- gets their temperature taken outside to be allowed in. Every Day.

Our local schools closed just last week, and it's still a district by district decision. We are not doing a good job of self-quarantining, and the states and federal government are not requiring strong measures. We WILL overwhelm our health system soon.

• Like 4

No losses. Just a friend in Taiwan who is fine, her family's fine, her students are fine, her colleagues are fine. Because Taiwan immediately closed schools and gathering places, and residents self-quarantined. Their health services are coping fine.

Sympathy to Medlin. Stay safe & healthy with friends and family; nature can be a great healer, physically and emotionally.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, Abby Normal said:

very few have been tested, and that was intentional by those in charge

Not really intentional, unless you want to include that one of the agencies decimated by a prior administration (and still run by that admin's appointed leader) that shall remain nameless was the CDC; they were not prepared to get the tests or testing protocols out there.  The first test sets sent out had an 80% false-positive rate.  THAT is totally useless, and they had to pull those tests and get better tests and testing protocols out.  Can't be done overnight - unless you are ready for and expecting a fast epidemic of that particular type of virus.  Keep in mind nation SIZE as well; many European nations (and South Korea) are significantly smaller than some of out STATES.  Far easier to monitor a place the size and population of Virginia.  

On 3/15/2020 at 7:28 PM, FDNY said:

the current rate of infection is exponential and it will probably double every 3 days

Not really.  The current rate of doubling (2nd derivative - rate of change of change - crucial in physics as well as epidemiology) is already slowing.  Please also note that there is a lag in reporting that second derivative, because of delays for testing results.  Also because of the expansion of testing is *showing* more cases - but those cases were already extant; they are not new, just newly reported.  Bill Still (on yourtub; Still Report) has been doing a good job tracking and reporting on this.   

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Medlin Software said:

I promised to not leave a mess for my heirs

My deepest sympathies on your losses.

My husband came home, a few years back, from one of a LONG series of trips to New Mexico, took one look around our house, and said, "We can't do this to the girls; we have GOT to get rid of stuff here."  He spent a week and a half to two weeks, every month, for nine months, cleaning out his mother's house after she passed away.  His folks had built the house when he was 4 or 5.  Somewhere in the attic he found his TinkerToy set, put there when he was 12 - he had no idea why it was still there.  We've been slowly jettisoning, consolidating, and making sure paperwork was in place, ever since.  It's still a work in progress.  Not made easier by all the crap the girls left behind when they moved out, or moved from one place to another and needed to "leave this with you for a little while, till I can come pick it up."  Although, frankly, those particular items I have no trouble leaving for them to deal with, as it only seems fair.  Good luck to you in your endeavors, and enjoy your camping trip away.

• Like 2

How about some good news. My 79 year old brother-in-law, who lives in Spain, came down with double pneumonia and the corona virus about 10 days ago.  My wife spoke just spoke to him.  Although, his voice is very weak, he is up and walking a little.   

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Max W said:

How about some good news. My 79 year old brother-in-law, who lives in Spain, came down with double pneumonia and the corona virus about 10 days ago.  My wife spoke just spoke to him.  Although, his voice is very weak, he is up and walking a little.   

He must have been in prior good physical condition.