ATX Community

Married filing separtely

Tracy Lee

Will ATX Max allow us to do a married filing jointly return then split it into married filing separately to compare what is best?

I have husband living in Oregon and Wife living in California. Trying to figure out the best way to file for them.  Combined income is $190,463.

That worksheet didn't used to be all that useful to me years ago; I always had to tweak it a lot.  Maybe it's better now. 

However, what I usually do is prepare the MFJ return.  Then I duplicate it twice.  I delete one spouse's information on one, and I delete the other spouse's information on the other.

I also print all three and give to the taxpayers.  This generally stops the self-appointed tax matters spouse who made 2,000 and paid in 11 bucks from asking again.  True story.  This really happened this year.  It was worth the trouble.  Some things are better than money.

• Like 3

If both itemize, or both take the SD, I don't think there will be much difference.  It is where one itemizes and the other normally wouldn't, but has to because of the other, where there is going to be a big difference.  I have two couples in this situation.  They are both 2nd marriages and one spouse owns the house, pays the mortgage and Prop taxes.  The other spouse, if filing MFS, would end up having to pay several thousand $'s more.