ATX Community

Anyone changing office procedures re: CoVid-19?

jklcpa

I wanted to start a separate topic related specifically to changing office procedures related to the spreading virus.

I am small volume as far as the number of returns I prepare and already have the majority of people's data in via drop box or delivery service. 

I already have a bottle of hand sanitizer and tissues at the door, will be wiping down after appointments, and of course lots of hand washing.

I am considering changing over to mailing completed returns back to people wherever possible to limit in-person contact at this point.  Clients already have multiple ways to return signature forms to me, so there's not really a change needed there.

What have others here changed or are considering changing because of this?  

• Like 4

I just bought a box of Bic pens for clients to use (the few that come to pick up/sign/pay) and take with them.  Those pens will be segregated from the ones I use on a regular basis.  Other than that, business as usual - cleanliness, hand sanitizer, hand washing, mailing as many returns as possible.  Most of my clients mail or upload their info. 

• Like 7

I have lots of "remote" clients but am pushing for all the rest to upload to my portal, mail/UPS/FedEx, fax, or use the mail slot in my front door. I'm using eSign when possible (NY won't accept any type of electronic signature) and otherwise use my portal for delivering signature pages, return to review, payment vouchers if not paying electronically, etc. I mail tax folders after e-files are accepted.

We do wipe the front door handles and mail slot now, as well as all door knobs and light switches and bathroom counter/fixtures and my desk. I'm washing my hands before and after handling each client's documents. I have a bottle of sanitizer on my desk and a small bottle in my purse and tissues on the desk. It's a home office.

I have a couple of biz clients that I work at their sites; haven't been to one lately, but was at the other on Wednesday and took my wipes to wipe down the desk and chair before and after I worked and had my hand sanitizer with me but washed my hands frequently, didn't shake their hands, etc. They were using paper towels in their bathroom instead of cloth towels as in the past.

My clients are mostly long-time, so lots of hugs and even kisses and, at least, handshakes. But, not this year. Just smiles.

I love the idea of pens, taking them with. I'd done that with pens with my info on them for years but didn't buy any this year. Still the mug of pens for clients (mostly handouts from seminars and samples mailed by imprint companies) -- I'm going to have them take them with them as they use them. I do keep the pens I use on the other side of me to NOT loan to clients. Going to be extra careful about that now. Thanx, Lynn.

I got some push back from a couple of older women who drive a fair distance to come to me. We struck a compromise: they'll drop off in my mail slot; I'll call their cell with any questions; they'll return to sign (they won't use a computer and don't trust the mail) at my front door or front hall, not my office. We usually do a fair amount of chatting at their appointments, but this year we did that on the telephone instead. Signatures and out of my house. I think they want to sit in their car in my driveway for hours while I prepare two sets of returns!

• Like 6

I am working strictly from home, which I do mostly anyway, as I share an office.  I did cancel one appointment from a new client, who wanted to meet face to face.  A few years ago, I had pneumonia twice in the same year, so I have been super cautious since then.   

• Like 5

I do all my business mostly through USPS or email.  I did  visit the PO everyday at 10:30 so I could shoot the breeze with Joe the maintenance guy and sometimes the counter people.  But now I go before the PO opens and if I have to sign at the counter I'm first.  Since I did some pro bono work for the maintenance guy he opens the side door for me if he sees me so I am always first.

Now I open the door with a disposable glove.  If I need to go to the counter I have a wipe to clean my hands when I get back into the car.  It's the times we live in, I don't like it but it is what it is.  I have to stay safe, there are people who depend on me and I will do my best to not let them down.

• Like 4

The toughest thing for me is to NOT touch my face. I tend to lean on my hand, scratch my itchy eyes and nose (allergies), brush hair out of my eyes with my hand, and otherwise touch my face. I'm making a conscious effort to NOT touch my face, but it's very hard.

• Like 11

Yes, that’s difficult as you touch your face numerous times without even thinking.  Try to always have clean hands.  If you are out remember to use a wipe to clean hands after touching hard objects. It’s a crazy time, and these precautions seem silly but  look at Spain and France on lockdown because it is escalating possibly getting out of control and overwhelming the medical community.  Don’t believe it can’t happen here, it will unless we smack it down.  So far it’s mostly personal decisions,  NYC subways are vacant, they’re getting the message in old NY.

• Like 4

I put out a notice to my remaining clients that they can submit their paperwork via secure file pro. I will forward electronic signature forms through signature flow and will return all documents and the final return through the secure file pro portal. Also, wiping down everything in my office. I too work from home but wipe down all door knobs, the pen on the signature pad and the pad, the desk, arms of the chairs and hand rails on the stairs. Unless I have an elderly client who can't wait, the bathroom is off limits. If it is used, it will be cleaned after the client leaves. I agree with staying safe. I am at the vulnerable age but fortunately don't have any underlying conditions except I like to eat too much. I guess for a 65 year old guy who takes no meds and is fairly healthy, that's not too bad and maybe I'm only at a minor risk, but who knows so I will error on the side of caution.

• Like 5

Cancelled the few appointments I have left and I'm working from home. I'm in a high risk group and I already have an over-reactive respiratory system. Plus I've always been a 'better safe than sorry' kinda guy.

I'm actually more productive at home, due to fewer interruptions and no phone ringing all day. Plus I save an hour a day on the road.

• Like 5

At the office, we are using bleach wipes on all knobs, the light switches, and keyboards a couple of times a day - more often if there are a lot of people in and out.  We scan all client docs, so if I'm using docs on a screen, and my keyboard etc has been wiped, while I'm still trying (and failing, mostly) to keep hands away from face (hard, with glasses and allergies), I'm not too concerned.  More hand-washing.  There is a bottle of sanitizer; that is getting more use, too.  The huge box of pens we bought a year or so ago is getting more use; I'm putting out new pens for each client and urging them to take 'em away with them.

We're finding more people want to drop off docs without talking (fine with me!) and more are using our portal (even better).  More people want returns mailed back rather than coming to pick up, so we are getting signature forms later.

LOTS of questions about what is going to happen about deadlines; my standard answer is that we'll know when there is an official announcement.

• Like 4

Besides charging upfront 50% if you are on your 60s, 75% if you on your 70s, and 100% if you are 80 or above... I am planning to close my office for two weeks after Tuesday. In the meantime, I will wash my hands constantly and have the people sit 6 feet away from my desk, along with other precautions.

• Like 3

Yep, I'm the toilet paper culprit.  😀

But to answer the question seriously, I've made a major change in my work plan today.  I spent the past week and a half in India, having returned on Friday night.  I had initially planned to limit personal contact for most of the coming week, simply because there are a host of viruses it's easy to pick up when traveling internationally.  (India itself has an incredibly low incidence of Wuhan Virus cases so far)

This afternoon I received a link from a relative who is a family practice physician.  Even allowing for the fact that it might be an overreaction, the article got my attention.  I also trust the judgment of the person who provided me with the article.  She's a very good doctor practicing in Seattle, so she's in the middle of the storm.   

I'm refusing to meet with anyone this week, and probably next week as well, at least until we see more data on the pattern of expansion of the Wuhan Virus.  Clients who won't mail in their info or leave it in my drop box will have to agree to an extension. (We're close to my informal  extension cutoff date anyhow, so I'm just accelerating it).  I can do this fairly easily because I'm transitioning into retirement so my volume of returns is decreasing by design. Also I really don't care if someone can't live with these changes - they're welcome to go somewhere else since that's a decision they're going to have to make within a couple of years anyhow.  I'm also going to follow special procedures in handling the info that does come in.

I know everyone can't follow this type of plan because not all of you are transitioning into retirement.  But whatever you do, you might want to read the article I'm linking below and then make your decisions on next steps.  I'm risking being an alarmist in posting this, but if I don't and then the worst-case scenario begins to unfold, I'd be wishing I had done this.  (I've stared at this post for about 20 minutes before hitting the "submit key")

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03/a-covid-19-coronavirus-update-from-concerned-physicians.html?fbclid=IwAR2T8za3H5PDKOLiNYolFlrEfDf_bNyewJPMAxgTMhKhIvjadMUpqqqLy8M

• Like 7

Doctor on the news said it is highly unlikely to catch it from a door handle. CDC has made it pretty clear, it's an airborne virus and that's why they are limiting group sizes so much. My brother in law is a scientist and said touching someone with the virus doesn't increase your risk significantly but if they sneeze in your office it could spray for 12+ feet.

I'm mailing back multiple returns to older clients so that they don't have to leave their homes and I don't have to go inside their space.

• Like 4

Yay, my Wednesday biz client cancelled, so I don't have to cancel him! I go to his biz site and really didn't want to; I've canceled face-to-face appointments. But, he's my biggest client; I work at his site a couple times/month creating reports to his clients, overseeing his bookkeeper, etc. I completed his S-corporation returns and e-filed, so that was done a week ago. I was dreading canceling, but now I don't have to. Yay!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Since everybody is mostly working from home or staying home, let's all call today to see when they can drop off their documents 😬

Oh yes, and I've had 4 calls today from one elderly person that is worried about *everything* and must have thought I'd have time to chat!  🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I sent out an email to all my clients whose packages I have not received that I would only be accepting electronically sent docs by the end of the week.  Watch, I'll get a flood of mail on Wednesday and Thursday.  Some of them called today and wanted to talk about the virus.  The older ones are very scared and I tried to calm them and explained they should have a plan.  I got little work done today but with a possible filing extension on the horizon I could use the break.

• Like 3

Sorry if I'm being too persistent on this thread.  If so, the moderators or somebody tell me and I'll dial it back.  I just happen to think we are discussing something of major importance here.  I'm attaching a VERY interesting discussion I saw on an investing Forum I participate in.

(The only unusual term in the discussion is the term "Black Swan Event".  In case you've never heard the term, a Black Swan Event is a sudden event which was impossible to predict but which has both immediate and long-term economic and social consequences.  Knowing that definition is the key to understanding the entire conversation.)

I thought the reply comparing the lessons learned from Korea and Italy is priceless wisdom. It solidifies the absolute necessity of "flattening the curve" in order to avoid the devastation Italy is experiencing. Anyone who ignores that FACT is whistling past the graveyard - maybe their own. 

If opening attachments bothers you, I can only say that I personally generated the pdf from a cut & paste I did myself on a Mac.  

Black Swan Discussion.pdf

• Thanks 2

No problem, John, share as much as you want. We need to talk about it, share our ideas of how to keep working safely and effectively, and share information about what's happening in our areas. If it helps just one person here understand more fully, that's always a good thing. It will help relieve some of our stress too.

Below is a screenshot from the pdf for those that don't like links. @JohnH, maybe you'd be kind enough to quote me for those here that have me on "ignore."  Thanks.

Screenshot_20200317-084849.thumb.png.b1d882ffda02ab5fef2bb2d9d38abb47.png

Screenshot_20200317-084908.thumb.jpg.ef5eb0c8c96c152e9e021e1f64a964fd.jpg

Screenshot_20200317-084928.thumb.jpg.eb5c3d5fb72cab0979486aaa775927b4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

No problem, John, share as much as you want. We need to talk about it, share our ideas of how to keep working safely and effectively, and share information about what's happening in our areas. If it helps just one person here understand more fully, that's always a good thing. It will help relieve some of our stress too.

Below is a screenshot from the pdf for those that don't like links. @JohnH, maybe you'd be kind enough to quote me for those here that have me on "ignore."  Thanks.

Screenshot_20200317-084849.thumb.png.b1d882ffda02ab5fef2bb2d9d38abb47.png

Screenshot_20200317-084908.thumb.jpg.ef5eb0c8c96c152e9e021e1f64a964fd.jpg

Screenshot_20200317-084928.thumb.jpg.eb5c3d5fb72cab0979486aaa775927b4.jpg

Judy, I find it hard to comprehend that someone would put you on "ignore".  

• Like 3